Iron Forum for english speaking people

johnsrg

Post by johnsrg »

My wife has Skype installed and when she is talking the connection will break and the modem and router will reboot. Skype and Comcast support (our cable company) said that it was our browser that was causing this... personally I think it's Skype. Has anyone else had similar issues? If so is there a fix? Here is her system specs. She also has Internet Explorer installed (IE8). I have Googled the issue and many people experience this same issue but it's hard to determine if it's browser based. Pleas Help....PS We love Iron...best browser Period!

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model MS-7519
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 2833 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V5.7, 8/30/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.85 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.72 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB

RWUK

Re: Skype

Post by RWUK »

An internet browser will not cause both a modem and a router to shut down and reboot, not even one of them separately. Skype and Iron are as equally disconnected. You don't even need a browser installed to operate Skype so it seems Skype and Comcast are feeding you some BS. There could be several reasons why you're experiencing what you are and if you only have it happen when you're on Skype, look into QoS settings on the router to give Skype connections priority over those of other programs when Skype is running. There also may be some weird bandwidth restrictions set into your modem. Simply going from IE to Iron doesn't affect your hardware at all and your computer's specs won't affect the modem and router. So you're safe on that end. Sorry I can't give you more to go on than that, but look at your router's firmware settings and see what others who are having this problem do for a fix.
lodevena

Re: Skype

Post by lodevena »

How does the skype video calling system work? is it live streaming or is it recorded and stored in a skype database? Could skype watch/record your video stream and release it to other websites? Also is it possible for someone to intercept the stream?