No Scroogle default?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

eddiebelfast

No Scroogle default?

Post by eddiebelfast »

Hi, I have been using Iron for a couple of years and am very happy with it. I recently downloaded the latest version and now find that when I add scroogle to the search engine list I cannot make it the default engine. It doesn't show make default at the right hand side of the added line.
And I don't know why or how but other search engines are being added automatically, although when I pass the mouse pointer over them the make default appears, but not on the Scroogle line.
Any ideas?
megaman

Re: No Scroogle default?

Post by megaman »

Scroogle doesn't seem any different than using Google, other that it sends a proxy end to get your results and avoid Google from getting your privacy concern.
Maybe use Google and install the extension called "Disconnect."
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Put a shortcut to it on your toolbar and use it there. You don't "have" to use it in the search box.
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

Theres always Startpage as an alternative Privacy respecting setup - I found Scroogle occasionally gets foiled by google changing the way things work sometimes putting Scroogle out of action for a few days.

Homepage ....

https://www.startpage.com/power-search.html

From there click on About Startpage link at the bottom.

Then on the left of the next screen look for Get more Startpage, and click the link 'Add Startpage to your Browser'

Tick both boxes (if you want to use HTTPS search engine aswell)

No problems setting this as default search engine with Iron. Check out your options and once its set as default just delete the others.

Occasionally with updates to Iron the others come back - I just keep deleting them.
Mr.Blair

Post by Mr.Blair »

Try this https://ssl.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbwssl.cgi?Gw=%s
then select as default It works for me I just tried it out to make sure. Hope you get it working
eddiebelfast

Post by eddiebelfast »

Mr.Blair wrote:Try this https://ssl.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbwssl.cgi?Gw=%s
then select as default It works for me I just tried it out to make sure. Hope you get it working
Mr Blair, That's what I normally use. It worked in the previous version, just not in the latest. Thanks all the same.
eddiebelfast

Post by eddiebelfast »

jazluvr wrote:Put a shortcut to it on your toolbar and use it there. You don't "have" to use it in the search box.
Thanks for your reply,I had already done that, just wanted it to work as per the older version. Again, thankyou!
bulek

Post by bulek »

It's probably a bug in this version. In the latest Chromium version (13) it works as before so Iron will pickup the correct behavior with the next upgrade hopefully.
yankee

Post by yankee »

try ixquick.com, which is a privacy oriented search engine
eddiebelfast

Post by eddiebelfast »

yankee wrote:try ixquick.com, which is a privacy oriented search engine
Hi, Thanks I already have that engine.
I have just DL the latest version of Iron and all is back to normal.