RIght way to uninstall and new reinstall to save things to keep?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

SRWare
Site Admin

Re: RIght way to uninstall and new reinstall to save things to keep?

Post by SRWare »

You can make a total backup with the" Iron Config and Backup Tool". Otherwise you can try to copy single files like Bookmarks etc from your profile folder and experiment by yourself.
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
Alphonse68

Post by Alphonse68 »

Hi,
Just to make sure you do get all you want to keep, make a copy of ALL the files, not the folders and don't pick and choose, just the files in the appropriate folder according to the version you have, whether full version installed or portable, and you can just copy them back after you install Iron. Note: Iron needs to be closed in order to restore those files. Mind you that if an overhaul has been made to Iron, or if and when they decide to make the pages look like everybody else's (you know, the three little dots, etc., like that means it's better), then Settings might need to be reconfigured.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\

D:\Path to portable Iron\Profile\Default\

Cheers.
Nielsen

Post by Nielsen »

Hi Alphonse, will that not mess up the new installation? I just curious.
Alphonse68

Post by Alphonse68 »

Hi Nielsen,

Sorry so late... have been unfortunately and unusually busy... I hope my answer will still help.

The answer to your question is No. The files in Default folder are your configuration and saved stuff (bookmarks, logins, last session, etc.) files so they will not mess anything up. If you back-up and restore the folders, that might be a different story. I say 'might' because I have never tried it, and I have never tried it because I have never read anything advising or even suggesting to do so. The Cache folder is all "garbage" anyway... I don't figure there is anything all that useful so as to keep in any of the others... I have never missed anything within them.

Cheers!