New Iron-Version: 4.0.275 Beta for MacOS

Iron Forum for english speaking people

dipalina

Re: New Iron-Version: 4.0.275 Beta for MacOS

Post by dipalina »

Can I install mac os x on a computer I built? I'm planning on building my own computer, buying all the hardware seperately and putting it together myself. will I be able to install mac os onto this computer or am I stuck with windows? if not is there any hardware I could buy as a specific kind to get a mac os to work on it?
SRWare
Site Admin

Post by SRWare »

dipalina wrote:Can I install mac os x on a computer I built? I'm planning on building my own computer, buying all the hardware seperately and putting it together myself. will I be able to install mac os onto this computer or am I stuck with windows? if not is there any hardware I could buy as a specific kind to get a mac os to work on it?
You can. But i'm not sure if it would be legal because Apples EULA says you are not allowed to.
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
nemesit

Post by nemesit »

how do i set the user agent on mac os?
SRWare
Site Admin

Post by SRWare »

nemesit wrote:how do i set the user agent on mac os?
Not possible at the moment-
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
nemesit

Post by nemesit »

thats too bad as there are some pages that think iron is not compatible with them.
thys

Post by thys »

First I would like to thank you very much for this Mac version!

I also have a feature request, is there any way you could implement the three finger gesture to go to the top and bottom of the page?
socalsdguy

Post by socalsdguy »

SRWare wrote:
seveng wrote:Fantastic! Now, where do I drop adblock.ini?
sorry adblock doesnt't work at the moment for mac, but we will implement this later!
In the meanwhile, GlimmerBlocker works quite well with Iron (as well as Safari and if you have System Proxy installed, Firefox as well).

Unfortunately PDF inline viewing with this plugin Schubert|it PDF Browser Plugin doesn't seem to work with Iron. Is that because of what's mentioned on http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... l?id=13716? Does it have to be white-listed to be enabled? There doesn't seem to be any way to do that inside Iron.
IronMaiden

Post by IronMaiden »

Hello!

Thank-you for the Mac Snow Leopard version of Iron. I hope that you will continue to develop and improve it for us Mac users.

Now, a few thoughts and suggestions:

Plug-Ins:
---------

I looked at GlimmerBlocker. There are a few caveats with using the Mac version of GlimmerBlocker, which make it an undesirable substitute for AdBlock Plus, so I hope that you will make Iron compatible with AdBlock Plus soon.

Several other good Firefox plug-ins which would be good for the Mac version of Iron are the following:

DownloadHelper
Flashblock
Download Statusbar
Surf Canyon Search Engine Assistant

Cookies:
---------

The cookie options in Iron are too limited. I suggest that you add an exceptions list like in Firefox. With Firefox, you can set the browser to refuse all cookies, except for those which are in the exceptions list. There are some sites we visit, where we do not want the browser to save cookies, while there are other sites, where we do want the browser to save cookies. Thus, and exceptions list is the obvious solution.

Questions:
-----------

Question: Why can't Iron connect to the Google site? Do they have Iron blocked, or does Iron have Google blocked? Or is Google experiencing a DOS attack perhaps? ;)

Question: How do you conduct web searches in Iron? I see no search bar anywhere.

I will post more later as more thoughts come to me.

Thanks!
27" 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7 iMac with 8 GB of RAM 2 and a TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Zippin' along, baby, zippin' along! Catch us if you can! -- Dave Clark Five 1965
enirx

Post by enirx »

I think, adding the adblock capabilities to the Mac OSX version is rather important and should be a higher priority. There are many extensions, however adblock to me is at the top. You have done a good job creating a secure browser excluding the bad features Google included in theirs, not including the adblock feature in some sense makes Iron a "Yet Another Clone". I'd rather use Iron however I also rather wait until it would be equip with adblock.
ArneTR