New Iron-Version: 16.0.950.0 Stable for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

RWUK

Re: New Iron-Version: 16.0.950.0 Stable for Windows

Post by RWUK »

Big problems here!

I update from Iron 14 to 16 with the installer and every tab crashes. New tab page, Preferences, bookmarks manager, about:EVERYTHING crashes. This is on Windows XP sp3. I know MS hates XP but Google too??

Any help would be great. Thank you.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Pierre771

Post by Pierre771 »

If I were you, I would uninstall Iron then I would download the installer again and I would run the installation again.
C'est trop injuste !
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

That makes no difference, even if I delete the Chromium folder with all user data in it. I have no idea what the problem is, it's almost like the renderer isn't being allowed to run somehow, or isn't being called at all.
mapx

Post by mapx »

could be some old gpu driver; could try disable GPU acceleration for your browser
Pierre771

Post by Pierre771 »

Is Iron the only browser which causes such a problem in your installation ?

Does the same occur with Google Chrome, for example ?
C'est trop injuste !
throkr

Post by throkr »

Pierre771 wrote:
throkr wrote: 1/. as I'm using "Adblock" (not the "Plus" version), should I also regularely update the integrated "adblock.ini" file and, if yes, at which rythm ?

2/. I'm able to open *.pdf files whithin the browser without any problem but, each time, the files are also downloaded on the computer, what I don't need. What should I do to avoid these unnecessary downloads ?

Hello

Adblock : very clear : with the integrated Iron adblock.ini, it's is no use using any adblock extension. Desinstall it. Your Iron will be faster.
The adblock.ini update rythm : you can decide it yourself : each day (it seems being updated every day), once a week, etc. It's not an obligation ! It depends what degree of protection against ads you want.

pdf : I don't have the problem. I use Sumatra with the plugin.

http://www.ketb.com/ketbmedia/doc/54031 ... _54031.pdf

you don't give any detail. With what plugin do you open pdf files within the browser ? see it with "about:plugins" in the adress bar. Desactivate the unuseful plugin(s) and keep only one.

The existing pdf plugins are : adobe acrobat/reader, Zeon, Sumatra, etc. They are installed at the same time as the corresponding software. Keep only the one you want.

And, please give us the links which correspond to your problem !

Thanks, Pierre, for your reply and sorry for my delayed reaction ... :roll:

1/. I wasn't sure about that as it says "alternatively" here whilst this review advises to use both items (see part "Iron’s Built-in Adblock is a Godsend").
For the time being, I think that I'll stay with the extension as the "adblock.ini" file has to be updated manually, on a regular basis ...

2/. > ... please give us the links which correspond to your problem ! ... <
I don't know what you mean with that; fact is that I used "Foxit Reader" and switched now over to "Sumatra PDF" : still the same problem - files are opened in the browser without any problem BUT are also downloaded at the same time to the computer ! I really still don't know how to avoid these unnecessary downloads ... :x
In "about:plugins", I left only the corresponding plugin activated (in other words : I deactivated the Chrome PDF Viewer ...)

Thanks for your time and suggestions ! ;)

Best wishes to all of you for an excellent 2012 ! :)
Pierre771

Post by Pierre771 »

Hello and happy new year to you !

Chrome pdf viewer does not exist in Iron, it exists only in Google Chrome and it that case it must be desactivated if you want tu use Sumatra, that's right.

Excellent adblock extensions exist and can be used in Iron. Incorporated Adblock.ini is not a very elaborated product (and Fanboy is not a very good list but it seems it is the only one with a file for Iron) but it is allows Iron to be very fast. You loose this speed (one of the main advantages of Iron) if you use an adblock extension (at the same time as adblock.ini or not).

Thanks for this good article although i already knew what it said.

http://dottech.org/freeware-reviews/238 ... urce-code/

I wanted a link to try to reproduce your case "unnecessary downloads" (displaying the pdf + downloading if I understant well). Nothing else.
C'est trop injuste !
Pierre771

Post by Pierre771 »

I think our discussion should be replaced in a separated topic...
C'est trop injuste !
deepdream

Post by deepdream »

Some elements cannot view. (for example http://www.masov-gt.com/index.php - see top of menu items) I tested it with installed extensions and clear without extensions - same.No problems with IE. For your info.

See < ul class="menu_rounded" style="border:0px;float:left;" > section.