Ad blocking via .ini or extension?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

RWUK

Ad blocking via .ini or extension?

Post by RWUK »

What's the advantage of using one vs the other? Other than the obvious of the extension auto updating. Is one method better than the other in terms of effectiveness? Does the .ini start its own process like Adblock Plus?

Thanks in advance.
ironuser

Re: Ad blocking via .ini or extension?

Post by ironuser »

RWUK wrote:What's the advantage of using one vs the other? Other than the obvious of the extension auto updating. Is one method better than the other in terms of effectiveness? Does the .ini start its own process like Adblock Plus?

Thanks in advance.
I think either does just as good of a job. No, the adblock.ini does not start another process.
But, IMO, the .ini way blocks the ads more completely than the extension(s) do, depending on the extension.
There is a way to auto update the .ini IF you are wiling to set up a script that does it when you turn your machine on.
Otherwise, there are scripts that can reside on your desktop that once clicked will get the latest fanboy blocker list.
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

Thanks for the response. I've been trying out Adblock Plus Beta for a couple weeks now and sometimes ads 'slip through'. Apparently the experimental version and Experimental Extension APIs prevents that.
07U

Post by 07U »

vote to adblock.ini
more completely and simple, but need "custom blocker list"
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

07U wrote:vote to adblock.ini
more completely and simple, but need "custom blocker list"
I posted a zip file of a script that will get fanboy's list, and let you add your own in a file on your hard drive that will also be called by the script.
It is under my name on page 7 of this posting, and is dated Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:55 pm.
http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=60
You WILL need to do some editing for ti to work in your situation, on your machine.

NOTE! I did not write this vbs script! I got it a long time back from these forums and modified it to my OS and file locations. Uploaded files seem to disappear from in here. Why I don't know.
zeon

Post by zeon »

ironuser wrote: I posted a zip file of a script that will get fanboy's list, and let you add your own in a file on your hard drive that will also be called by the script.
It would be possible to merge the fanboy's list with one or more fanboy's firefox regional lists ( http://www.fanboy.co.nz/regional.html ) and to set a white list?
Many thanks.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

zeon wrote:
ironuser wrote: I posted a zip file of a script that will get fanboy's list, and let you add your own in a file on your hard drive that will also be called by the script.
It would be possible to merge the fanboy's list with one or more fanboy's firefox regional lists ( http://www.fanboy.co.nz/regional.html ) and to set a white list?
Many thanks.
COPY THE VBS FILE FIRST! DON'T CHANGE IT UNTIL YOU KNOW IT WORKS!

Try this, COPY the original VBS script and name it regional.vbs.
Then modify the const source = to the regional list, and const destination = to myfilter.txt.
This mean you will need to run both scripts in sequence.

1- Run the regional.vbs
2- Run the original VBS
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

I see I screwed up! Rename the file form a *.js extension to an *.vbs extension. Sorry!
zeon

Post by zeon »

ironuser wrote:Try this, COPY the original VBS script and name it regional.vbs.
Then modify the const source = to the regional list, and const destination = to myfilter.txt.
This mean you will need to run both scripts in sequence.

1- Run the regional.vbs
2- Run the original VBS
It doesn't work, Iron crashes (regional.vbs works fine, it generate a correct myfile.txt).
It's the final adblock.ini merged that wronged (I think that regional.txt syntax, firefox compatible only, is not compatible with adblock.ini syntax for chrome).
07U

Post by 07U »

my custom adblock.ini (opera based)
(maybe) impact: iron crash (continues) if you use it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.