How to pin sites on new tab page?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Anomaly

How to pin sites on new tab page?

Post by Anomaly »

The update to 15.0.900.1 has changed the new tab page. There doesn't seem to be a way to pin sites any more. Why remove this function? It makes the new tab page useless to me. Is there a way to pin sites or a work around to this problem?
RWUK

Re: How to pin sites on new tab page?

Post by RWUK »

Type the full url address into the address bar & press enter. You must type it, not cut & paste. Then when you open the new tab page again, you'll see the site you just entered and you can pin it. I think you can also do this by editing the preferences file in your profile folder too.
Anomaly

Post by Anomaly »

RWUK wrote:Type the full url address into the address bar & press enter. You must type it, not cut & paste. Then when you open the new tab page again, you'll see the site you just entered and you can pin it. I think you can also do this by editing the preferences file in your profile folder too.

There is no way to pin the site anymore. You used to be able to hover over the thumbnail of the site and a little tack would appear in the corner and you could pin the site but that tack is gone now. This was removed in Google Chrome a while ago, now Iron has removed it to. The Iron new tab page was always better then Chrome's because it had more thumbnails on it, and still does, but they are useless if you can't pin them anymore.
JustMe

Post by JustMe »

As a workaround, you can drag the thumbnail from the Most Visited to the Applications window.

Once moved, right-clicking the thumbnail will give you different choices on how the page will open.
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

Hey I never even noticed there's no pin sign anymore! I've got a computer running a Chromium snapshot from a few days ago and tabs are pinned on there. Does Iron 15 have the new bookmark page? That can make up for lack of pins in the most recent area of the new tab page.
BKC

Post by BKC »

If you wish the New Tab icon to open to the page of your choice, place the link to the page into your bookmarks bar, then right-click the link's icon and select "Open in new tab". I use this procedure dozens of times a day to open Google Images. Admittedly, this is not as efficient as having the page of your choice open when you click the + icon but it's a reasonable work-around.