Ran into an HTML5 video that won't play in Iron 40x.

Iron Forum for english speaking people

lylejk

Ran into an HTML5 video that won't play in Iron 40x.

Post by lylejk »

Most HTML5 youtube videos play fine, but for some reason, this one does not. The HTML5 video plays fine in IE11 (as HTML5 that is) and also Flash Player will play fine too in Iron Browser. Not sure why this one video will not play as HTML5. Using 32-bit 40x version for WInXP so it could be the older version of browser, but it also could be an issue with 41x. Maybe someone could check this out for 41x (have to have flash player work which keeps me from installing 41x).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9t2ZNn43LI
lylejk

Re: Ran into an HTML5 video that won't play in Iron 40x.

Post by lylejk »

Just installed 41x and it still won't play this video in HTML5. Will soon be going back to 40x; just wanted to rule that out. Very strange indeed. I started a parallel thread elsewhere and a user there said it worked fine with his version of both Chrome and Firefox (HTML5 that is). :)
lylejk

Post by lylejk »

Now HTML5 is working; must have been a weird youtube problem with this one video. You can remove this thread if you like. :)
dinkydau

Post by dinkydau »

I found out why this happens. YouTube offers 2 codecs for HD HTML5 video, h.264 and VP9. Iron doesn't support h.264 because the license for h.264 is very expensive, which sucks. In theory that should be no problem because VP9 is offered by youtube as well and Iron does support that. From what it looks like, it just takes a lot more time to become available. Apparently youtube assigns a very low priority to VP9 encoding.

I wish Iron could have support for h.264, possibly by using the license on h.264 that's present in windows 7 and newer. I have searched the internet for a mod that can add h.264-support to chromium and/or chromium derivatives. I have found none that works properly. The only way to make sure you always get maximum experience on youtube is to use a browser like chrome or firefox. Alternatives are ruled out by h.264 not being free.
dwarflord

Post by dwarflord »

I'm having the same problem as dinkydau. Still no fix/workaround for this? I know h.264 is propriety but it sucks to switch to another browser just to play some web video.