Curious about problem I had

Iron Forum for english speaking people

tell

Curious about problem I had

Post by tell »

My internet went down and while talking to the help desk I let the guy talk me into hitting the re-set button on my router.

The router is an older Linksys model NR041, I believed made in the early 90's.

So it re-set to factory settings. I figured "no big deal". I'll just type 192.168.1.1 according to instructions and re-set it for PPPoE and put in my user name and password.

I open SRWare Iron and do just that. I get in to the router and can see all that is supposed to be there but when I tried to change anything and click "set" it would not save the settings. I tried everything to get the settings to save and was about to give up and thought the firmware was corrupted.

Then I decided to try one last thing. Although I always use SRWare Iron to surf the internet, I remembered I still had a very old version of IE on my computer. So I opened IE and went into the router, changed the settings to PPPoE and hit "set" and it worked. The place to put in my username and password then shows up and I put those in and now my router is good to go.

My question. Why wouldn't the router be able to see my clicks from my mouse when using SRWare Iron? Is Iron so new that it can not communicate with older software like that router? Just curious.

bksening

Re: Curious about problem I had

Post by bksening »

tell wrote:My question. Why wouldn't the router be able to see my clicks from my mouse when using SRWare Iron? Is Iron so new that it can not communicate with older software like that router? Just curious.
Simple answer: Yes, that's exactly the reason.

The old router's webpage interface was written to use old IE-browser specific quirks.
tell

Re: Curious about problem I had

Post by tell »

Thanks you very much for the answer.