Import Chrome Extensions?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Rino

Import Chrome Extensions?

Post by Rino »

Hi,

Any instructions on how to do the above?

Thanks
wb407

Re: Import Chrome Extensions?

Post by wb407 »

This issue is the reason I came to the forums. I always save .crx backups of my extensions and just drag them onto the 'chrome://extensions' page. Sometime after Iron 69, this feature stopped working. I'm on Iron 79 now, and when I drag a .crx onto this page.. it responds with a file download dialog. Is there a workaround? ..and is this a known issue that will be fixed in a future version (I hope!)? Thanks. Great browser :)
wb407

Re: Import Chrome Extensions?

Post by wb407 »

Tested SRWare Iron 85.0.4350.0 and can report that installation of "privately hosted extensions" is now working, but with a few caveats..

Extension files can be packed by Chrome on the "chrome://extensions/" page in "developer mode", and then distributed privately.
However, in Chrome 76+, dragging a CRX3 extension file onto the "chrome://extensions/" page (in non-developer mode) results in the error message: "CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING".

History:
  • Chrome 64: adds support for packaging CRX3 file format
  • Chrome 76: removes support for installing CRX2 file format, and requires web store signature on all CRX3 extension files
Documentation: A little googling led me to: The last link tells the full story and, most importantly, a solution:
  • start browser
  • open the "chrome://extensions/" page
  • enable "developer mode"
  • restart browser
  • open the "chrome://extensions/" page
  • drag a CRX3 extension file
    • successfully installs
  • can optionally disable "developer mode",
    though there's no reason to not keep it enabled..
    since doing so makes it easy to install additional CRX3 extension files at a later time