Your browser is out of date when logging in to PayPal

Iron Forum for english speaking people

cashie

Re: Your browser is out of date when logging in to PayPal

Post by cashie »

Thanks for the reply but I have no idea what a User Agent is!
navar

Post by navar »

Your Browser is sending a string named "User-Agent", where he tells the remote server, who he is.
By default, Iron is sendig "Chrome/70.0.3650.1 Iron" which is not regarded as "secure browser" by PayPal.
By using a add-on like "User-Agent Switcher for Chrome" you can modify the string, that is sent by your browser.
Use a modified User-Agent String, which contains for example "Chrome/42.0.2311.135" (which is the current Google-Chrome version based on the same sourcecode from which Iron is built) and PayPal will work as expected.
(A ridiculous security-feature, that's so easily to be overridden :roll: )

PayPal is simply locking out some less known browsers, regardless their real security-level. What a mess: PayPal wants to determine your browser choice.
UnIForM

Post by UnIForM »

Hello

Just a quick report about the problems with sites that doesn't want Iron anymore: now even "web.whatsapp.com" says that the browser is out of date.

There's a message that the site doesn't function with Chrome under version 36.

Obvious that I have Iron updated to version 70.

It would be nice to do a little experiment: move the word "Iron" in the user agent string to another position (at the end for example) and see if those web sites function or not.
navar

Post by navar »

This one works:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.77 Safari/537.36

This doesnt:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3650.1 Iron Safari/537.36

After visiting web.whatsapp.com with non-working UA, you wont be able to switch back. Seems theres some more logging? Even with new IP address I cannot get the login page.

So annoying :roll:
navar

Post by navar »

Ok: 7 hours later, its possible again, to login web.whatsapp.com with this user-agent-string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.77 Safari/537.36

Doesnt matter where "Iron" ist located.
UnIForM

Post by UnIForM »

Thanks for the experiments with UA navar.

Now I have two shortcuts on my desktop: the original and the one with "--user-agent=" switch for the "silly" websites like PayPal and WhatsApp.

But It's really annoying this situation.