IronPortable.exe not functioning

Iron Forum for english speaking people

luppa

IronPortable.exe not functioning

Post by luppa »

I have been trying out Iron for a few weeks now, using the portable version. Everything has been working great, until now, after one boot:
the ironPortable.exe is not doing anything. If I click it or a shortcut to it, nothing happens. If I look at Process Explorer, I see the process starting and then exiting quickly. I tried starting the exe from command prompt, but it doesn't print out anything.

The iron.exe in the directory Iron is working. It just doesn't use the my profile in the IronPortable directory, it creates and starts to use a profile in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\MyWindowsProfileName\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium\User Data\Default

I thought the problem was somewhere in my profile settings, so eventually I downloaded a whole new IronPortable.zip, extracted it to a different location, but even there, with the default "empty" profile, the ironPortable.exe didn't do anything. Not even after I deleted the whole Chromium directory under Local settings/Application Data. I tried to search through the registry for anything connected to Iron.

Now I'm using the "portable" iron.exe directly, and I copied my profile from the Profile/Default directory of my original IronPortable directory to the Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium\User Data directory, and now I't works just like before, there seems to be nothing wrong with my actual profile!

Things I remember doing before I booted the machine, and after IronPortable.exe stopped working: I updated my acrobat reader. Now I uninstalled it. I also started trying out KDE software on Windows (http://windows.kde.org/), there was an installer that downloaded a whole bunch of stuff, could this be it? I don't dare to uninstall everything from KDE yet. The machine has been booted a few time since.

Anyone ever come across any problems like this before?

WinXP SP3
Iron 14.0.850.0 (Official Build 102000)
zeon

Re: IronPortable.exe not functioning

Post by zeon »

luppa

Re: IronPortable.exe not functioning

Post by luppa »

That winPenPack version does work. Altough, I really have no real use for a portable version ,so I guess I'll install a normal version of Iron and hope it won't mystically break...