Added Second Profile.... And Lost Customization !

Iron Forum for english speaking people

controlfreak

Added Second Profile.... And Lost Customization !

Post by controlfreak »

Hi,

I recently added a second profile for the other user of our home computer. But after creating the profile and getting it all customized (i.e. installing xmarks and lastpass to set up bookmarks and passwords, etc.) I closed Iron and re-opened it several minutes later and all my customization was gone ! :( The only thing showing when I opened Iron was the list of 'recently visited' sites, showing that I was, in fact, in the proper profile which I had just created.

What did I do wrong ? Why did all my changes not "stick" ?

Thanks for any input ! :)
ironuser

Re: Added Second Profile.... And Lost Customization !

Post by ironuser »

You need to create start shortcut icons on the desktop for each profile! Go to the Iron install directory, Right click the iron.exe file, and then tell it to "Send to -- Desktop(create shortcut)'. Or Right Click>New>Shortcut, and fill in the blanks(I find it is easier to create the shortcut from the Install folder).
Now you need to modify the Target box to point to a Profile.
Here is an example

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe" --user-data-dir="C:\Documents and Settings\<<<USER-NAME>>>\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium\User Data\Iron14"
This is the portion that tells where the Profile is located.

Code: Select all

--user-data-dir="C:\Documents and Settings\<<<USER-NAME>>>\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium\User Data\Iron14"
Once you get one working, COPY it and PASTE to the Desktop, and modify that last portion to the second profile. I have about 5 I use.

This is the way I learned to do it. Other users may have a better way.
bksening

Post by bksening »

Would I be correct to guess that you're using Iron 14.0.850.0 ?

Considering Iron is copied from Chromium code, and multi-profiles has not finished development nor testing neither in Chromium 14 nor 15 nor 16, I would not bother trying to use multi-profiles in Iron. It's probably just full of bugs. That is, unless Iron fixed all the multi-profile bugs ?.............
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

bksening wrote:Would I be correct to guess that you're using Iron 14.0.850.0 ?

Considering Iron is copied from Chromium code, and multi-profiles has not finished development nor testing neither in Chromium 14 nor 15 nor 16, I would not bother trying to use multi-profiles in Iron. It's probably just full of bugs. That is, unless Iron fixed all the multi-profile bugs ?.............
Point me to information regarding these multi-profile bugs you allude to! As far as I know Chrome(chromium) has not supported multi-profiles ever.
But, having said that, what I posted works damned well for me, and have for a long time. I even open several of the profiles at the same time without problems.
controlfreak

Post by controlfreak »

ironuser,

Thanks for your reply !

My apologies for not being clearer. I left out some information when I made my original post. When I created the second profile I did create the second desktop shortcut for that profile. As I noted, I was able to open the second profile and see all the recently visited web pages that I went to using that profile. What I didn't see was all the bookmarks and extensions that I spend nearly an hour getting set up ! The Lastpass, WOT, and Xmarks extensions weren't there. And all the bookmarks (imported through Xmarks) weren't on the bookmark bar where I had put them. That's why I thought it strange that I was able to open the browser with the second profile (confirmed by the recently web history being displayed, which is different from the history in the default profile), but was not seeing all my modifications.

So, the question is: why did Iron take things away ? Or did I do something else wrong ?

I hope bksening's not right about any 'bugginess' being the cause ! We'll see. I'll keep trying....

Thanks again !
controlfreak

Post by controlfreak »

After posting my reply above, I tried again...

I opened the newly created, second profile (using the desktop shortcut that I created for it). I installed WOT successfully (WOT icon showing to the right of the address bar). Then I closed Iron and opened the second profile again... and the WOT extension I just installed seconds ago was gone !! :(
bksening

Post by bksening »

Chromium multi-profiles are currently in development and I hope will finish soon. Many of the remaining bugs are currently marked for M17.

You can see the entire list of multi-profile bugs at this link, sorted by open issues first, then closed issues:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... ort=status

If you want to see just the open issues, modify the above link to pass can=2
bksening

Post by bksening »

Chrome 16 has been released based on Chromium v.16 codebase and now supports multi-profiles.