Browser "eats" too much resources (RAM, CPU)

Iron Forum for english speaking people

xplozz

Browser "eats" too much resources (RAM, CPU)

Post by xplozz »

Hiya, folks. Im surfing on my old one computer (Pentium 4 661 3,6 ghz with 2 mb l2 cache, 2gb ddr2 ram samsung pc5300 and without pagefile) with windows xp sp3. Iron is upgraded to 9.0.600.2 (74100). After system starts used RAM is about about 170-220 mb. Launched Iron adds 400mb more (old vesions added about 200-300). After using Iron about hour or more it uses not 400, but 600-800 mb and even more with closed tabs (up to 1.2 gb of RAM, even games use less :? ) so i have to reboot browser. Why it happens? In Opera i can open 100-150 tabs and i won't get virtual memory overflow error (i'm using both Iron and Opera).
Moreover it loads CPU too much: from extensions i'm using adblock and when i open any link browser freezes for 1-2 seconds (CPU load rises to 60-70% for this time), when page contains bunch of pictures it takes about 5 seconds to "unfreeze" so i have to turn adblock off when opening too much links. Tried with Opera - all worked pretty fine without freezing and stuff.
So this is my problem. Sorry for bad english - i'm from Russia.
chromagna

Re: Browser "eats" too much resources (RAM, CPU)

Post by chromagna »

Yup, lots of RAM usage for me too. (Iron 10.0.650, portable version)

On the other hand, there is probably not a lot SRWare can do to improve memory usage in Chromium browsers (since Iron users the Chromium source code).

You can read more at http://superuser.com/questions/225850/w ... uch-memory
chromagna

Post by chromagna »

And one last piece of info. If you write [url]about:memory[/url] in Iron/Chromium, you'll get better info than the Windows Task Manager. Found this info here.
eil

Post by eil »

quite a funny situation))
you say That is an old PC? i'm using P4 1.3, 256Ram - now that's an old one!) and by the way, my situation is upside down= i almost switched to Iron from Opera, 'cause since 11Opera is uses soo much resources that stucks even with 10-15 tabs(like it has no idea what is "resource revelling"). and here i met Iron that is far more speedy, better video behaviour and real resource management= you close the tab, you get your ram.
moskit0

Post by moskit0 »

I have faced the similar problem. I am also using the latest portable version. When i see the task manager if only one tab is open i see two iron instances running. So it might be something to do with portable version. Now as i have installed 3 plugins i see 4 instances running in background all taking around 10MB of ram. This is funny thing with newer versions. I will switch to installer version next time to check if it is something to do with portable version.
eil

Post by eil »

moskit0, it seemed to me that you consider semi-instances of Iron to be wrong, but that's how works main technology of Chromium core= it makes sub-processes when you open new tabs or install plugins. this makes resource managing real and improves anti-crash situation.
Mr.Blair

Post by Mr.Blair »

Thats strange cause I never had that problem. Iron has always used less ram than any browser for me. Thats one reason why I switched from Firefox. I am running a old Intel Celeron 900 mhz overclocked to run at 1.04 Ghz and 384 mb of ram. I run the browser for hours and the ram never changes and it certainly never raises. And I do use multi tabs sometimes up to 8. I do however keep a fresh install of Windows XP, I do a reinstall atleast every 2 months to make sure im clean of malware because I do not have much faith in the free antiviruses. Firefox used to do that on my computer when version 3 first came out. Maybe its just a deal with some computers because some people told me they never had that problem with Firefox when I did.

Good luck with your problem
bulek

Post by bulek »

Mr.Blair wrote:I run the browser for hours and the ram never changes and it certainly never raises. And I do use multi tabs sometimes up to 8.
Under normal conditions RAM usage should change and should grow with more complex web page opened or with more tabs opened. If it does not increase on your system then something must be wrong with it. Btw, how do you check your memory usage? Is it "about:memory" in URL? What you are saying even if you open up to 8 tabs you do not see RAM usage increase on this statis page?
eil

Post by eil »

i think he meant he feels no ram problems using Iron. ofcource memory usage raises with more tabs or complex pages, but no "self-growing" with time like other browsers. mine situation is quite the same= up to 10-15 tabs(i seldom need more) and real better results than with any other browser(i did checked them all).
Mr.Blair

Post by Mr.Blair »

I use task manager to check it like anyone normally would. looking at virtual mem and mem usage, And as usual nothing outrages happens it seems normal. I was not trying to discredit you or anything you can relax.