Norton just reported high risk

Iron Forum for english speaking people

idx256

Norton just reported high risk

Post by idx256 »

Norton Security Suite shut Iron down, uninstalled it and restarted my computer. Iron 9.0.600.2 (74100)

Phonemes

Re: Norton just reported high risk

Post by Phonemes »

Must be a false positive. Norton probably just quarantined Iron. You ought to be able to undo that somewhere from within Norton.
Perhaps you could report the false positive to Norton.
Udy

Post by Udy »

You use Norton? Seriously? An antivirus that is associated with ripping people off, being forcefully pre-installed on computers, and slowing down your system as a whole?

Please get a good antivirus, like Microsoft Security Essentials.
Additionally, realize that if you lock down your system well enough, you don't need an antivirus.
Pkad

Post by Pkad »

I use Norton Anti-virus 2011 and I had no problem to install iron 9.0.600.2. Regarding Norton Anti-virus it became very light software since 2009. Currently there are a lot of prejudice around the software that are unfounded.

No such question before the installation? Few users have installed the software. Install anyway?
Pkad

Post by Pkad »

ironfan

Post by ironfan »

SRWare Iron 9.0.600.2 (74100) portable
arflech

Post by arflech »

Udy wrote:You use Norton? Seriously? An antivirus that is associated with ripping people off, being forcefully pre-installed on computers, and slowing down your system as a whole?

Additionally, realize that if you lock down your system well enough, you don't need an antivirus.
I agree with MSE, but I should mention that you still need a virus-scanner as a last line of defense, when security blacklists, up-to-date software patches, a router or firewall, and your own common sense happen to fail, and malware still manages to make its way to your system.
DaveIron

Post by DaveIron »

Udy wrote:You use Norton? Seriously? An antivirus that is associated with ripping people off, being forcefully pre-installed on computers, and slowing down your system as a whole?

I couldn't agree more. I was glad to see the back of Norton, it's false-positives, heaviness on my system & multitude of other problems. MSE is a much better, lighter freeware alternative.
megaman

Post by megaman »

Funny, but either he works for Microsoft (or gets bribed by them) and wants to throw that antivirus or he might just be using it and suggests it.

I have yet to get false positives on this machine running avast! and my other 2 test machines, one with Avira and the other with Panda Cloud.
We all agree that Norton is still slacking in it's potential and we don't like it sold as a commercial product for it's performance.
Put it on the "Allow" list and carry on with your progress.
If you go to good sites, you won't need an antivirus.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

I'll second the Avast comment! IT has preformed real well for me for several years now. So much so, that I took MSE out.