Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Iron Forum for english speaking people
jazluvr
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby jazluvr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:24 pm

i have asked the people at chrome, along with many others, to give us back the --enable-cookie-prompt that makes browsing life soooo much easier and nicer! There are many people over there in a growing thread complaining they want it back. I had to create a gmail account, which only required a fake name, "joeshmoe@gmail.com" (not the one i actually used,) a password and a security question in case you forget your password. You can even make your own question. You don't even have to give them your email address either!!

Right now i am using iron version 7.0.520.1, the latest version that supports this option. Iron can't rewrite the code, just take away the tracking stuff. Please join me and many others in petitioning chrome by going here..http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?hl=en&tid=1d832caaa7f7ddfa&start=40, and posting your polite but firm request along with many others.

This cookie control option makes browsing so much nicer when you have total control of cookies and don't have to whitelist and blacklist sites all the time. Plus right now we have only 2 options...allow all or block all. Not much of a choice and leaves a LOT of "grey area" for nefarious, long-lasting cookies that track you all over the place for God knows how long!

Thank you for your time in reading this, and i hope you go speak up for your rights to better and more private browsing!
jaz :ironvsff :ironvsopera :ironvssafari


bulek

Re: Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby bulek » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:50 pm

I am long time reader of this forum and I have to say (sorry for that) that you are the most annoying troll here. Could you please keep your "ask me" request in one thread? Who cares that you had to create fake gmail account? And don't mislead the other users. The options you have is not only "allow all" or "deny all". You can also remove coookies that are already present in your browser. You can also configure exceptions if you choose "block all". That's not a rocket science to configure what you need. Most probalby it takes the same efforts as whining on this forum about "ask me" option.

Once again jazluvr, don take this personally but I see many posts from you about privacy. Some of them are higly paranoid about being tracked while at the same time you use the Iron browser without even being aware of being tracked. This is just spreading fud because of your ignorace of how browsers and internet work.


User avatar
SRWare
Site Admin
Posts: 2572
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:16 am

Re: Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby SRWare » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:21 pm

I would please all to "cool down" this discussion.

My statement:
The cookie prompt is something that may use one promille of the users but which isn't as easy to bring back that some other things. The disadvantage would be that in every new version the effort to upgrade it to the newest chromium-code would be much higher than now and would take much longer. And this would cause unfixed security holes.
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php


jazluvr
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby jazluvr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:39 pm

SRWare wrote:
My statement:
The cookie prompt is something that may use one promille of the users but which isn't as easy to bring back that some other things. The disadvantage would be that in every new version the effort to upgrade it to the newest chromium-code would be much higher than now and would take much longer. And this would cause unfixed security holes.


No offense to you sir, but you could have saved this whole thing by telling me that in the 1st place, before this whole thing escalated to this point.


User avatar
SRWare
Site Admin
Posts: 2572
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:16 am

Re: Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby SRWare » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:44 pm

OK, however ...we will quit the disput at this place
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php


jazluvr
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby jazluvr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:34 pm

SRWare wrote:OK, however ...we will quit the disput at this place


Fair enough. And just for the record, i did not send any offending pm's to other members here as ironuser has falsely stated.
I want my reputation here cleaned up. I may have gotten carried away with the ask me thing, and i apologize for that, but i am no troll, or trouble maker. I wish to maintain a peaceful presence in this forum. But i will not be accused of doing something i didn't do.

I consider the matter settled.


jazluvr
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby jazluvr » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:32 pm

bulek wrote:I am long time reader of this forum and I have to say (sorry for that) that you are the most annoying troll here. Could you please keep your "ask me" request in one thread? Who cares that you had to create fake gmail account? And don't mislead the other users. The options you have is not only "allow all" or "deny all". You can also remove coookies that are already present in your browser. You can also configure exceptions if you choose "block all". That's not a rocket science to configure what you need. Most probalby it takes the same efforts as whining on this forum about "ask me" option.

Once again jazluvr, don take this personally but I see many posts from you about privacy. Some of them are higly paranoid about being tracked while at the same time you use the Iron browser without even being aware of being tracked. This is just spreading fud because of your ignorace of how browsers and internet work.


My only mistake i made was i got a little carried away with the "ask me" cookie option. I hardly think that qualifies me as a troll. I could say more, but won't as i agreed to the admins request to cease with the arguing. I do however, find it humorous that you ask me not to take it personally that you call me a troll, say I'm paranoid, and say I'm ignorant. I will let this slide, because i don't want to continue this dispute. But i will defend myself, just for the record.


bulek

Re: Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby bulek » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:41 pm

It was about your behavior not about you... that's why you should not take this personally. Call it as you want but it is obvious that spreading the same topic all over is commonly called trolling (among the others).

I see you would like to have a chance to defend yourself without offending me. I will give you such a chance. I think it will not be of topic (since it is related to Iron security and privacy as well) here and let me ask you some simple questions based on what you have written on this forum in the past.

1. Do you know exactly how cookie mechanism works?
2. What does it mean for you "being tracked"? You write very often of this in many occasions (forums, downloading, browsing). What do you mean in particular?
3. How one could leverage such tracking against you? Who could leverage this? What would be possible implications and danger to you?
4. Why do you prefer to use Iron which contains a part of proprietary code (not published part of the source code) to Chromium (where the full source code is available)?
5. What exactly security/privacy features of Iron decide you use it rather than let's say Chrome?


jazluvr
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby jazluvr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:21 pm

@bulek
Wtf? you call me names, disrespect me and you want me to fill our your "questionnaire??"
I have made my aploligies to the forum for getting carried away with the ask me thing, and really didn't realize how far i had taken it.


User avatar
SRWare
Site Admin
Posts: 2572
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:16 am

Re: Asking chrome to reinstate cookie "ask me" prompt

Postby SRWare » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:42 am

Everything is said. Topic is closed now.
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php



Return to “SRWare Iron Support (English)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests