New Iron-Version: 9.0.600.2 Stable for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

w33d3r

Re: New Iron-Version: 9.0.600.0 Stable for Windows

Post by w33d3r »

I have moaned on about the topic of losing the 'ask me' option a few times in the recent versions of Iron, respect and concur with a lot of mele20's opinions/experience.

Third party solutions which you can trust, 100% compatible with your setup and do not have their own hidden agenda are a rare thing (even trusted ones sometimes are later found to have a clever encrypted wrapper for some ad/spy/malware), and for these same reasons I have not jumped on the extensions bandwagon (where can you find any guarantee they conform to not breaking chromes internal privilege elevation levels?, do not have additional unwanted functions you would have to read through reams of privacy policy to find the obfuscated wording which might give you a hint as to what else may be lurking in the installation?, google seem to be reluctant to put a stamp of approval on them (they certainly will not be checking out Iron compatability too - I dont think SRWare has enough time in a lifetime to keep on top of this aspect too), and the more desired ones do not have the necessary api to function as well as firefox equivalents.

However I also concur with IronUser; badgering SRWare (is this a one man show or does he have a few coders helping?) to produce the potentially millions of lines of code to re-instate a feature originally coded by googles cream of the crop army of coders is asking a bit much really, at one time I hoped it may be just a case of un-commenting the relevant parts so that they function again; how long a job or how complicated (would un-commenting such code break newer lines of code in the rest of the content manager and be no-longer compatible/break chrome?, I dont know for one)

I am pretty sure if SRWare could manage it with the stated intentions of producing the most private version of chromium ... he would.

Therefore, in the time being, the best compromise option I can think of is to revert to the old trick of putting Iron in full incognito mode where nothing is saved (add a space followed by --incognito to the end of the target line in Irons icon properties)

And ... Bug the hell out of google to re-instate it so the resulting chromium code comes down the line to us via SRWare stripping out the undesireable elements .... http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/C ... 21b7&hl=en
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

clinteastwood

Post by clinteastwood »

SRWare wrote:We released the new Iron 9 today...
I just installed 9.0.600.0 on Windows XP. It's working nicely! Thank you.

I have one problem. Before I installed Iron, I had installed Chromium on this computer.

Now I cannot run both Iron and Chromium at the same time. If I attempt to run Chromium when Iron is running, another Iron window appears.

In addition to that problem, it appears that any change I make to Iron (changing the theme, adding a new extension) shows up in Chromium.

Is this a bug? Is there a workaround?
SRWare
Site Admin

Post by SRWare »

UPDATE
14.02.2011 - Securityupdate. Version changed to 9.0.600.1
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

As for people declaring they want to jump ship to another browser, since last year Chrome has been rigorously tested with the new browser fuzz testing software, its probably the most secure browser code users have ever had access to use freely.

Its also the only browser with sandboxed processes and tabs; easily the best security feature of any browser to date. Cookies are a continuing privacy problem and the details of how they are used I think is going to be a long running battle (especially if Do Not Track becomes a standard and enforced by legislation in the future), but they are by far not the biggest concern of browsing the internet.

I severely miss NoScript which I used in firefox (Giorgio Maone is wanting to convert it to chrome but still awaits the api from google to do that successfully). AddBlockPlus (make sure you get the right one) we now have, and a big extra layer is to use mvps hosts file. Combined with Sandboxed processes and incognito mode SRWare Iron stripping out google tracking ... Its one pretty fine browser as far as I can see.

What you plug in to Iron is the only potential downfall.
w33d3r

Re: New Iron-Version: 9.0.600.1 Stable for Windows

Post by w33d3r »

Shiny update while I was typing - Thank you SRWare for your continued work on this :)
mapx

Post by mapx »

jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

I'm using opera to post this...very nice browser...I'm impressed! So many options and it has the ask me function for cookies! i see some responses here since i posted. Is this new update the "ask me" option we have been asking for? So far I'm liking this very much. I'm trying to get fanboys adblock list into this version, but having problems.

I don't know enough about code to alter the auto-updater list posted here to work with iron, and it seems opera has 2 urlfilter.ini files. I have fanboys adblock for url and stats file saved as .ini file, waiting for me to learn how to insert it...so much to learn. If Iron will give us the ask me option, i will un-install opera and definitely stay with iron.

But if they don't, this is my new browser.
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

@ mapx - Yes thats why I make reference to versions of firefox plugins we desire which are not quite able to do what the genuine/original article can, see this conversation
polo1

Post by polo1 »

Iron is great !

A simple request :
Is it possible to have an option to reload automatically the page after allowing cookies or java scripts by using icons ?
(so we don't have to press F5 after allowing cookies or java)

Concerning cookies, i block all of them and use the white list by using the icon when usefull.
Any problem whith that way of doing ?
Operating like this allows me to pass the GRC Cookies contest management at http://www.grc.com/cookies/context.htm