New Iron-Version: 9.0.600.2 Stable for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

ironuser

Re: New Iron-Version: 9.0.600.0 Stable for Windows

Post by ironuser »

Browzar is an IE shell that comes with all of the security problems IE has regardless of the hype about privacy and no traces on your machine.
Go for it man! Your open ports will not be thankful.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

I forgot to add, Firefox(s) still have the 'ask me' cookie setting, and has a very well accepted 'private mode'. Where do you think Chrome(and Iron ) got the idea from? A few of the Firefox developers quit and went to Chrome or other browser development. What is sad is that Firefox users are now aking for Chrome features, and one of them being Chromes cookie settings. So I guess that tells you where it may be headed, eh? First IE features, then Opera, and now Chrome. Regardless of your down on Iron thinking, it still is the bets small safe and private browser, IMO.
sendscam

Post by sendscam »

Anxiously waiting for a "fix" on how to enable the 12 tabs on home screen.
Mele20

Post by Mele20 »

Opera also has the Ask Me cookie setting and I have not heard anything about it disappearing and I spend time in the Opera forums most days. I still use Fx 3.0 on a virtual machine and I was wondering if there might be pressure to get rid of the Ask Me function. I really sorry to hear that is happening. I also use an old version (specially created version) of Cookie Safe extension for Fx. Maybe if Mozilla removes Ask Me this extension or another will add it back.

I just think it is a shame that Iron doesn't add this setting back into recent Iron versions.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Mele20, do you know if opera maintains a connection to a server, or is is similar to Iron, where we have to manually update anything (which i like.) I have been visiting their forums as well, but i see quite a few complaints compared to this forum, which has almost none, mostly just people asking how to do something.

What's your take on this? I have a bit of a unique problem in that i had to ditch my old verizon-msn software cuz my account got hacked, so i saved my "favorites" to a usb stick and added it back in when i bought won 7. Now i can't seem to migrate it into any browser toolbar, and now the links only work with chrome or iron.

I'm sure i can find a way to get them to at least work with opera, but I'm still on the fence about it being connected to a server, (can we opt-out of that)? and all the complaints i see in their forums.

Also, that's my biggest gripe about Iron, why did they remove the ask me feature? Are they under pressure from google or something? I don't understand why they don't listen to their userbase. They don't even answer our questions unless we press them.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Mele20 wrote:Opera also has the Ask Me cookie setting and I have not heard anything about it disappearing and I spend time in the Opera forums most days. I still use Fx 3.0 on a virtual machine and I was wondering if there might be pressure to get rid of the Ask Me function. I really sorry to hear that is happening. I also use an old version (specially created version) of Cookie Safe extension for Fx. Maybe if Mozilla removes Ask Me this extension or another will add it back.

I just think it is a shame that Iron doesn't add this setting back into recent Iron versions.
I didn't say it 'would' be removed from Firefox, just that it is being talked about. I use a cookie manager that is not part of a browser, and one that is an extension to Firefox. I haven't looked to see if independent cookie manager is working with Iron, since I use Iron in the exclusively in the incognito mode, and cookies are deleted after each session. The ones that I do allow that is!
jazluvr wrote:Also, that's my biggest gripe about Iron, why did they remove the ask me feature? Are they under pressure from google or something? I don't understand why they don't listen to their userbase. They don't even answer our questions unless we press them.
What is the point of 'pressing' them? The cookies settings are part of the chromium code and there fore part of the Iron code as well. I imagine it is very difficult to add that feature back in once it is removed by the source developers. Both of you need to get over the fact that that cookie setting is missing. Iron devs removing Chrome crap is a lot easier than trying to add something back.
My advice, get a damned good cookie manager, or continue to gripe about something that is not going to happen regardless of how much you 'press them'.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Here are some pretty well accepted cookie managers. Might be worth your looking, and trying to keep a this fast Iron browser.
http://pcworld.about.com/news/Mar182001id44745.htm
Cookie Pal or Cookie Crusher would be my first recommendations.
Mele20

Post by Mele20 »

jazluvr wrote:Mele20, do you know if opera maintains a connection to a server, or is is similar to Iron, where we have to manually update anything (which i like.) I have been visiting their forums as well, but i see quite a few complaints compared to this forum, which has almost none, mostly just people asking how to do something.

Also, that's my biggest gripe about Iron, why did they remove the ask me feature? Are they under pressure from google or something? I don't understand why they don't listen to their userbase. They don't even answer our questions unless we press them.
Opera updates can be done manually or you can wait for the update to be released to the internal updater and then depending on how you have Opera configured, it will update automatically or it will simply notify you of an available update. So, you can set Opera in preferences to NEVER update, or even tell you there is an update available, and you do it all on your own, or you can let Opera tell you when an update is available internally. Opera has messed up with recent versions in that the devs decided to have a checkmark automatically placed in the box when you go to update internally that says something like "from now on update automatically without asking me first". That pis**d a lot of us off as Opera traditionally never had that box checked and if you wanted to get automatic updates internally you had to "opt in" by checking the box and you could change your mind at any time and uncheck the box.

Now, it is the opposite and you have to remember to either uncheck that box before you update or, after updating Opera, go to preferences and uncheck it there. But what really made us mad was that on the next update Opera would have that box REchecked. In other words, overriding the user's preference and the user had to remember before each internal update to remove that checkmark or do so right after the update in Preferences. So, I was quite gratified to see that with the last Opera update to 11.01, that the "automatically update" box was no longer checked by default. So, I think the devs heard the anger and went back to the way it always was before. But I use XP Pro. I read in their forums that someone on Win 7 said the box is still checked by default and they had to remember to uncheck it. Well, I have updated a second time and the box was NOT checked by default so I still think Opera listened and fixed it but maybe didn't get it fixed right for Win 7 or the person complaining had some other problem.

(I would never use a browser, or any software, that insisted on updating automatically and did not let me opt out of that). But all that about whether that box is automatically checked and you have to uncheck it, etc. is MOOT as long as you simply set Opera in \Preferences to NEVER check for updates. Opera honors that setting always and never tampers with it. I like the in between setting where Opera notifies me of an update but does nothing else unless I give it permission because I like to wait for an update to be released to internal updating. Why? Because Opera has a tendency to release updates on its website that you can manually get and then later withdraw the update because of some problem. I think they use that release to the website (but not an internal release yet) as a way of vetting the release. So, if you wait for internal release you can be sure it is a stable, good release. But you can still do it manually, just don't download and install the day Opera releases it their webpage. Wait awhile.

Google removed the Ask me from how cookies are handled not SRWare. SRWare evidently doesn't want to have to write code to put it back for us. That says to me that SRWare is not serious about Iron and I am giving up on it.

You might want to go to dslreports and do a search on Iron browser. Search back at least six months. Not the current thread in Software forum on Iron but earlier.

As for complaints at Opera forums, Opera users are passionate and Opera is soooo configurable that there will always be a lot of complaints and questions. It has problems, but every browser out there has problems. I think one has to decide which set of problems one is most comfortable living with, and dealing with, and that will vary from person to person. Opera is the opposite of Chrome/Iron in that it is the most configurable browser ever created, whereas, Chrome/Iron is lacking in this regard. I though Fx was configurable but actually it has lots of extensions but lacks configurability itself. Opera has just started with extensions but has tremendous configurability...things that are so hidden you can use Opera for years and not know all the ways you can configure it.
Mele20

Post by Mele20 »

ironuser wrote:Here are some pretty well accepted cookie managers. Might be worth your looking, and trying to keep a this fast Iron browser.
http://pcworld.about.com/news/Mar182001id44745.htm
Cookie Pal or Cookie Crusher would be my first recommendations.
That's ironic...your links. The very first piece of software I ever bought was in 1999 shortly after getting my first computer. It was Cookie Crusher. I still have it on that ancient 98SE machine that barely works now. Around 2001-2002, the Cookie Crusher vendor decided to do a major rewrite of the program and I became a beta tester for them. They were the first software vendor to use Microsoft's new .NET framework 1.0 and I had to download install that while it was still in beta in order to be able to test their new Cookie Crusher. The new Cookie Crusher was a disaster on my computer because I use the Proxomitron which is a local proxy and the new version of Cookie Crusher was also a proxy that filters all web pages. Having all webpages going through TWO proxies crippled surfing (especially on dialup).

I tried to chain CC to Proxo but that provided only a small improvement in web surfing. It was impossible for me to continue as a beta tester for them. I went back, on that computer, to the original version of CC which was totally different and still have it on that old computer. I still use the Proxomitron (it is my most important piece of software) so I cannot use Cookie Crusher.

As for Cookie Pal, I tried that one years ago and it is inadequate for my needs. Besides, it is crazy to use a third party PAID software to control cookies in this day and age when EVERY browser except Chrome/Iron and crappy Safari have proper cookie control built in. Even IE has "ask me" and has had it since IE5! Google has decided to play NASTY with its users which does not surprise me but for Iron to go along with that...well, that says to me that SRWare is NOT SERIOUS about providing its users with proper privacy in its version of Chrome.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Well, reading all this has given me much to re-think. I like iron very, very much, but i don't want a "pretty well accepted," ancient third party cookie manager, I want a real cookie manager built into the browser. I want Iron to give us back the "ask me" option. Consider this post a petition to give us an updated version of Iron 9 with the ask me option, and in the meantime i am going to test drive Opera.

I am very disappointed by this. I don't want to use an outdated version of Iron just because it has the ask me option. I will make the switch to opera if i don't hear soon that Iron will make this happen for us. I agree with Mele20 100% on this. Unless they fix this, i will assume they really don't care about keeping this browser as the best browser on the web.

SRWare, I'm sure you'll still have people that don't care much about their privacy, and ease of use as the ask me option re; cookies. Heck even IE9 will have a "do not track me" feature!

Anybody else that wants this option back in the new version, please post your plea to SRWare here. I'm going to go dl opera and try it out now.