New Iron-Version: 8.0.555.1 Stable for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Badgie

Re: New Iron-Version: 8.0.555.0 Stable for Windows

Post by Badgie »

I was getting the
"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_43.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." warning. After looking the problem up on the Internet I tried the simplest solution - reboot - and that fixed it.
alx_max

Post by alx_max »

Badgie: That's not a solution to the problem. Iron still loads but it doesn't use the hardware acceleration. Download the DirectX End-User Runtimes found on this Microsoft page and install them.

All: Do you know how to change the thumbnail number in the initial New Tab screen, besides recompiling the application?
Chikon

Post by Chikon »

Was wondering when the "Hide button" feature will be added to Iron. It would be great!
numeroprime

Post by numeroprime »

ihollins wrote:Hello SRWare Iron 8 that has just been released seems to have this error coming up every so often when running on Windows XP Pro SP3:

iron.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed to start because d3dx9_43.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Didn't have this problem in earlier versions of Iron.
I have the same problem.... but when I cancel the error then iron seems to work fine.
alx_max

Post by alx_max »

numeroprime wrote:I have the same problem.... but when I cancel the error then iron seems to work fine.
Go to this page http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/perfo ... ishIETank/ in order to see what is d3dx9_43.dll good for. You should be able to see some fishes moving around in an aquarium. In my case, I launch Iron with this command: "C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe" --enable-accelerated-compositing --enable-webgl , I have that DLL installed and I am able to see the fish aquarium. Speaking about command line switches, although I supply those parameters, there's no correlation between them and the flags in about:flags! Should't they appear Enabled in about:flags?
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

mapx wrote:
w33d3r wrote:
ironuser wrote:DAmn! spoke too soon! The --enable-cookie-prompt doesn't work in this version. When is 8.0.555.1 coming out with the fixes that got lost in this release?
:cry: In that case I will be giving this version a miss
you can control your cookies:

- block all sites from options / content settings / cookies
- you will see a new icon on the URL line (with a X on it) to the right
- push that icon and control which sites you want activate the cookies
Does that still include the drop-down menu which used to be presented with the ask option?

mapx

Post by mapx »

I think you can still test all this stuff in your version (iron 7 I guess)
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

mapx wrote:I think you can still test all this stuff in your version (iron 7 I guess)
Yes, that is the problem. In the previous version we were amazed to find we had lost the ask option. :(

Then found out it could be still used by using the --enable-cookie-prompt :)

Now along comes another version which removes --enable-cookie-prompt :(

Result:

We can now allow ALL cookies - Wonderful :(,
we get to sort - manually - through thousands of cookies trying to find bad sites that want to track us for eternity

Or,
Block all cookies - Some sites will not play that game :(

With the Ask option, we could allow sites temporarily until the browser closed, then say goodbye to long lasting cookies automatically, and that choice would also be remembered the next time the same site wanted to set a long lasting cookie.

Does anyone know if the next version will re-instate the ask option?. I hope so.

Or - A suggestion I requested a while ago, could we have an auto Clear All Browsing Data (Everything), when the Browser closes, similar to Firefox. Then cookies allowed with a long life will no longer be a problem, because they would be swept out when we quit Iron. I think if you are using the latest version you are probably better off using full incognito mode --incognito ... Wonder how long before that command line option will be disabled to bring us Iron rebels under control.

I love Iron, and the promise that it is the most private browser, but this recent turn of events seems to be nibbling away by degrees at superb features and I dont understand why.
megaman

Post by megaman »

I might have happened to overlook but is there any way to keep updated?

Newsletter or RSS feed to be informed of the newest version.
megaman

Post by megaman »

Well, guys, I have found a solution. :)

If you download the extension "RSS Susbcription Extension" you can keep up-to-date on the forum without having to be constantly checking. :mrgreen: