new adblock.ini updater

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Scream81

new adblock.ini updater

Post by Scream81 »

Hi!
Since the download link of ilboso's updater is broken I thought I release my version, based on his updater.

I've updated this tool with the possibility to add your own filters to the downloaded fanboy filter list. Just place a myfilter.txt file in your SRWare Iron folder and write the links you want to block in it, line by line.

And now that fanboy stops the support for iron blocklist in the new year, I've changed the updater to grab fanboy's Opera list and to convert it to a usable filterlist for Iron.

The Instructions stay nearly the same:
  • download the attached file adblock_update.zip (or use mirror)
  • unzip it
  • open adblock_update.vbs with your favorite text editor (Notepad works well)
  • near the top of the file, modify "source", "destination" and "myfilter" parameters to match your directories

Opera list, for Iron list use "https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/iron/adblock.ini"

Code: Select all

const source = "https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/opera/urlfilter.ini"	
    For 64bit System use : "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRWare Iron\adblock.ini" or similar

const destination = "C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\adblock.ini"	

List with your own links, if you dont want this use: ""

const myfilter = "C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\myfilter.txt"
  • put the file in any directory of your choice
  • double click it!
  • if it's all ok, you can put it in autostart folder or schedule it with Windows built-in scheduler!

I hope it all works like it should, enjoy ...
Scream81
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scream81

Re: new adblock.ini updater

Post by Scream81 »

cause I can't find the edit button, here the mirror: adblock_update.zip
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Hi Scream81...i dl and opened up the file in notpad, but it looks like a mess in there...it looks like the instructions you gave us are already in there, and the path is the same as my path, exactly. So this should work w/o any editing? I don't understand...cuz in the file, you're instructions are there too...are we supposed to take all that out? I'm not quite following you. Pardon my ignorance. I'm having trouble with all this cuz rOIZ says program files are "protected" and can't be written to.

I asked people here how they get theirs to work in spite of what he says, which makes sense. I'm at a loss here.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

The link in your original post works well to D/L the file.
The mirror link in the second post doesn't.

Here's the error text after clicking the mirror link
This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/586284/adblock_update.zip might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

jazluvr wrote:Hi Scream81...i dl and opened up the file in notpad, but it looks like a mess in there...it looks like the instructions you gave us are already in there, and the path is the same as my path, exactly. So this should work w/o any editing? I don't understand...cuz in the file, you're instructions are there too...are we supposed to take all that out? I'm not quite following you. Pardon my ignorance. I'm having trouble with all this cuz rOIZ says program files are "protected" and can't be written to.

I asked people here how they get theirs to work in spite of what he says, which makes sense. I'm at a loss here.
jazluvr, are you the 'ADMINISTRATOR' on your computer when you are trying to do this?
If not, you need to be. That may be the reason you are getting a file protection message.
The next thing to check is what security suite you are using. If it is one of MS's it may be NOT ALLOWING you access to the files on your Win& system(s).
Scream81

Post by Scream81 »

you're right, the link is wrong, this one should work: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/586284/adblock_update.zip
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

ironuser wrote:
jazluvr wrote:Hi Scream81...i dl and opened up the file in notpad, but it looks like a mess in there...it looks like the instructions you gave us are already in there, and the path is the same as my path, exactly. So this should work w/o any editing? I don't understand...cuz in the file, you're instructions are there too...are we supposed to take all that out? I'm not quite following you. Pardon my ignorance. I'm having trouble with all this cuz rOIZ says program files are "protected" and can't be written to.

jazluvr, are you the 'ADMINISTRATOR' on your computer when you are trying to do this?
If not, you need to be. That may be the reason you are getting a file protection message.
The next thing to check is what security suite you are using. If it is one of MS's it may be NOT ALLOWING you access to the files on your Win& system(s).
Yes, i just checked, and i am the administrator, that is my my account is set at. Yet, when i dl Iron and to set it as my default web browser, i have to right click and "run as administrator". Even with occassionly with dl'd files to run. I take it this is normal? I have eset security suite, and I'm not getting any notification or denial of service pop-ups from them, ever. I'm not running any windows protection services. although like rOIZ says, i have system protection service for this drive, C:\ on.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

You may be the 'Administrator', but your are probably not in the admin account or you would not be getting the messages you are getting.
PietO

Post by PietO »

Scream81 wrote: I hope it all works like it should, enjoy ...
Scream81
Thanks, it indeed works great!!! I'm now looking into an automated way of not only adding some private entries to adblock.ini but also how to disable some entries of the default urlfilter.ini. I have still to do some manual edit.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

ironuser wrote:You may be the 'Administrator', but your are probably not in the admin account or you would not be getting the messages you are getting.
I don't understand what the difference is...i have opened every window i can related to user accounts, and everything says I am the admin. Yet i can right click on most apps on my desktop and "run as admin", even Iron itself. I have my c:\ drive on protected status...is that what everybody else has? I am using win7 pro 64 bit. Is this what's preventing scream81's adblock auto-updater from working?
I would think it's not a very "safe" thing to set the drive to be "unprotected. I don't know that much about the vista-win7 platform, as I'm coming from winxp right to win7, I never used vista, so I'm still in learning "mode"... :lol:

A dialogue box from uac says it's not advisable to alway use admin mode. I can run the browser in admin mode, like i said, but this doesn't affect my overall permission level. So obviously, you are right...I'm not running in admin mode, but i find it very hard to believe everybody in this forum that has the auto update working is in admin mode. Not being rude...it's something on my end I'm not doing right, just trying to pinpoint the problem.

Im not as obssesed with this as my posts might reflect, i just occassionaly post about it, and i continue to manually update fanboys list every few days via notepad copy-paste method. Plus he says he's working on a way to incorporate multiple browser adblock files into one. Also what is strange i find need to manually scroll down the complete list of text to select and save it to desktop as a usable .ini file, otherwise it just copies and saves it as a .txt file...lol.

Very much looking forward to version 8, and hoping no backwards step are taken-no leash from google.