adblock.ini on fanboy.co.nz EOL

Iron Forum for english speaking people

fanboy

adblock.ini on fanboy.co.nz EOL

Post by fanboy »

I've been maintaining the Iron adblock.ini list for a while now, and the chrome adblock extensions has become feature-full enough to be used instead of the builtin adblock block. From the 1st Jan 2011 support for iron blocklist will be stopped.

Given the fact chrome now supports adblock for chrome, I'm looking at EOL (end of life) for iron chrome on the 1st Jan 2011. Though it wouldn't take much to convert any opera lists over to iron, though my recommendation would be use Adthwart or Chrome adblock.

Maintaining the platform has been great, but with lack of any development in the adblock tool in iron hasn't helped trying to maintain the list. Whitelists for example? Disabling filters for selected websites, turning off the adblock? The list will still be available and hosted on the site, It just wont be updated from the 1st of Jan.
ironuser

Re: adblock.ini on fanboy.co.nz EOL

Post by ironuser »

I'm sorry to hear of this, though I understand it is a task to keep at it. The built in adblock.ini and your list both do a lot better job in Iron for me than the Chrome extensions and the list(s) it requires. I'll look into a conversion of the Opera list. Where do I find that?
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

http://fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/ lists are very similar to Iron, apart from wildcards. I'll sync the lists over the coming days.
tryforsure

Post by tryforsure »

With the fantastic resource that you already provide and maintain I'm surprised that you have had time to tailor make different versions for different applications, I very much appreciate it.
I, also, think that you should, consider, consolidating your lists into one and let lazy users work out how to import it to their individual environments.

Thanks a lot for the effort that you have put into this constantly useful resource.

Regards
Dazbo

P.S. I currently use your lists in 9 applications on 2 different operating systems and I recommend it to everyone I know.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

I have a suggestion. Since Iron comes with the adblock.ini. , maybe someone at SRWare can convert fanboy's Opera list, and offer it as a daily or by-weekly update.
I can manually edit the Opera list to remove the asterisk's and Opera relate things, but I'm not sure I can do it within the adblock_update.vbs file.
ironfan

Post by ironfan »

I just replaced '*' in urlfilter.ini with nothing, saved it as adblock.ini for Iron and it works.
ironfan

Post by ironfan »

Also replacing # via editor by #[blank] is a good idea.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Yeah, that worked for me as well. Now I'm trying to get the adblock_update.vbs script to do that for me as it loads it into the Iron Folder. I just don't remember my VBS scripting. Too long ago!
ironfan

Post by ironfan »

My simple workaround via wsh (windows script host) Windows XP:
First save urlfilter.ini at your place (here assumed E:/IronPortable/Iron/ ) on harddisc.
Save this code as file *.js (perhaps E:/IronPortable/Iron/wsh_fanboy.js) and start it via 'open with'->Microsoft (R) Windows Based Script Host:

Code: Select all

fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
a=fso.GetFile('E:/IronPortable/Iron/urlfilter.ini');  
b=a.OpenAsTextStream(1,0);
c=b.ReadAll();
c=c.replace(/\*/g,"");
c=c.replace(/#/g,"# ");
x=fso.CreateTextFile("E:/IronPortable/Iron/adblock.ini", true);
x.Write(c);
b.Close();
x.Close();
This generates a - so far as I see - working adblock.ini from urlfilter.ini .
bulek

Post by bulek »

ironuser wrote:The built in adblock.ini and your list both do a lot better job in Iron for me than the Chrome extensions and the list(s) it requires.
You don't have to use the lists that are turned on in the extension by default. I have unsubscribed them and subscribed to fanboy's lists. The filtering therefore works as with built-in engine. It's good the extensions can now block the elements actually than just hiding them as they did before.