AdBlock.ini auto updater

Iron Forum for english speaking people

jerrytouille

Re: AdBlock.ini auto updater

Post by jerrytouille »

ilboso wrote:
jerrytouille wrote:This is GREAT!

Is there a way to add a custom list/block of filter texts to the updated adblock.ini automatically?
Thanks!
uhm... I'm not sure I understood your question... :)
You want to download more than one file?
What I meant is: can you code it so that I can easily add my custom filter list into your script, when your script run it will automatically add my list to fanboy's "adblock.ini", then save the modified "adblock.ini" to Iron folder.

Thanks.
jerrytouille

Post by jerrytouille »

A better way is that I can maintain my custom filter list in a txt file (also saved in Iron folder, example: myfilter.txt). Everytime your script run it will combine the fanboy's "adblock.ini" with "myfilter.txt" into a new "adblock.ini" (that includes both custom and fanboy's filters).

Thanks.
jerrytouille

Post by jerrytouille »

anyone?
alinescoo

Post by alinescoo »

I was thinking of making an adblock updater but available for multiple browsers: Iron, Opera and ChromePlus. For features I thought at
1. Automatically find the needed adblock filter file path, for each browser
2. Download adblock filter from a web site and allow the user to drag and drop into it, filters from current filter list on the computer.
But it would no run automatically. The user will start the process, decide what personal filters to add to new version of filters....
arflech

Post by arflech »

Another good point to make is that if you want more protection by default, use one of the regional lists with the stat/tracking filters, because they include all of the filters from the Main list; right now I am using the Main+Japanese+Stat/Tracking list: http://fanboy.co.nz/adblock/iron/jpn/co ... dblock.ini
volvox

Post by volvox »

Any chance to get that auto updater as an extension? Would be cool to have a button in Iron to update the adblock.ini (or even automatic update every hour or something like that)!
arflech

Post by arflech »

volvox wrote:Any chance to get that auto updater as an extension? Would be cool to have a button in Iron to update the adblock.ini (or even automatic update every hour or something like that)!
You can't update adblock.ini while Iron is running; however, once Chromium (along with Chrome and Flock 3 Beta) gets better at its own content-blocking capability you could just use the Chrome Adblock extension if you want something that auto-updates.
Scream81

Post by Scream81 »

For automatic update every Startup you can place the adblock auto updater in your Autostart folder. Then it autoupdates every day. Then it would be better to change the messagebox to a popupbox, so you don't need to click it away every time you start your pc....Could look like this:
Change this line:

Code: Select all

MsgBox s, vbInformation, "Adblock updated"
to this:

Dim WshShell 
	Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 
	WshShell.popup s, 3, "Adblock updated",	64
	'MsgBox s, vbInformation, "Adblock updated"
Works great for me!
z25blink

Post by z25blink »

How to auto-update Czech list with some my own additioned links to keep?
=(How to do ---without need--- to put that additional links manually after each update)?

http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/iron/
https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/iron/cz/adblock.ini

:?:
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

ilboso wrote:Hello everybody!
Since I didn't find anything around, I wrote a little program to automatically download adblock.ini and I want to share it.

Instructions:
  • download the attached file update_adblock.zip
  • unzip it
  • open update_adblock.vbs with your favorite text editor (Notepad works well)
  • near the top of the file, modify "source" and "destination" parameters to match your directories

' -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' PARAMETERS
    const source = "http://fanboy.co.nz/adblock/iron/adblock.ini"
    const destination = "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRWare Iron\adblock.ini"

• put the file in any directory of your choice
  • double click it!
  • if it's all ok, you can schedule it with Windows built-in scheduler!
hope it's useful! :D
I can't download that file, and I'm using win 7 pro, 64 bit. It doesn't work if i right click it either. I just get this message...The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

The file ./../files/3738_e18f68bc5a154119ad450bd46b63a89f does not exist.

Hey, you guys added an "edit post" option, liked i asked! Awesome! Thanks very, very much!