Iron Privacy

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Nic

Iron Privacy

Post by Nic »

What is the difference between Iron and going incognito in Chrome?
Does Iron hide my web activity from my ISP as well, like Tor or just from Google?
SRWare
Site Admin

Re: Iron Privacy in Incognito

Post by SRWare »

Nic wrote:What is the difference between Iron and going incognito in Chrome?
Does Iron hide my web activity from my ISP as well, like Tor or just from Google?
No, only provides stuff like not saving sites to history
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
Nic

Re: Iron Privacy

Post by Nic »

So I might as well uninstall Iron and just stick to 'Incognito' in Chrome.

Thanks for the information I couldn't find it on the download page FAQ's.
dinkydau

Re: Iron Privacy

Post by dinkydau »

No, that's entirely wrong. SRWare has confused you. He's talking about the incognito mode in Chrome. Incognito mode is really like a different instance of the browser with a different cache folder of which all traces are removed from your computer after it is closed. It makes you incognito to other people who have access to your computer, that's all.

Iron has very important benefits. Various ways for google to spy on you still exist in the Chrome incognito mode, but they are not in Iron at all. That's the privacy benefit compared to Chrome. Tor is something completely different. Iron is just a normal browser. It makes sense to use Iron if you like the functionality of Chrome and want a version without the Google (spyware) features.

Other benefits are that Iron doesn't have an updater that's active at all times and you can install any extension you want even if Google doesn't like it. You can download old versions if you want to and more things like that. It means you have more control over your computer and more privacy, compared to Chrome.