89.0.4550 weirdness - anyone else seeing this?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

dph3057

89.0.4550 weirdness - anyone else seeing this?

Post by dph3057 »

After my monitor blanks and I resume (computer not put to sleep, just monitor blank timeout) all open tabs in Iron are frozen and take a long time to come back to life. Opening another instance of iron speeds up the process of reanimation. While frozen switching tabs results in a blank screen where the website content should be seen. The slider bars do not function nor does the mouse scroll wheel. After a period of time, everything usually starts to function again. I've experienced this on Windows 10 v2004 and just updated to v20H2 today and seeing the same behavior in Iron.
awrs22

Re: 89.0.4550 weirdness - anyone else seeing this?

Post by awrs22 »

Yes, this happens to me also.
Fastest way to bring it back to life I've found is to click the button to the left of the "close window" button. And then click it again to restore the window to its original size.
You can also use the keyboard. Hold the window logo key and press the down arrow key, then the up arrow key.
dph3057

Post by dph3057 »

This issue was not present for me in previous versions of Iron. So it begs the question, is this an introduced bug or a result of changes made to the underlying Chromium code? It would be nice if this tab behavior could be made to go away.

Thanks awrs22 for the info.
awrs22

Post by awrs22 »

In my case the issue started with the previous version: 88.0.4500.0.
But the behavior was a bit different, the page became responsive just by right-clicking on any point in it, now this trick doesn't work.
Abrax87

Post by Abrax87 »

dph3057 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:52 pm After my monitor blanks and I resume (computer not put to sleep, just monitor blank timeout) all open tabs in Iron are frozen and take a long time to come back to life. ... While frozen switching tabs results in a blank screen where the website content should be seen. The slider bars do not function nor does the mouse scroll wheel. After a period of time, everything usually starts to function again. ...
Did you change something inside the Chromium internals? Under chrome://flags one can de-/activate hardware acceleration for rendering a.o., to fasten browsing and allow for some fancy stuffs too, I suppose. I played around with these settings, because I am naturally curious. Bad idea. Found a tip to activate this, even when the graphics chip used is not properly supported (seems there is a whitelist for those gpus that are). Think the specific function is called 'override software rendering list'.
...Long story short - your description of freezes (of tabs, mouse) and weird behaviour in general reads similar to what I had experienced. But only after a time it started actually, and did continue happening after a while, my driver had to be restored by Windows (a message is blend in about it).

Made me think about why this could happen all of a sudden, did not before - AND remembered, silly me being playing with those internal settings... Went there, changed it back to 'disabled', also checked other entries I might have screwed. You can reset them to 'default', as they come, with one click by the way. Happened with old version 88 and newest version 89 before I reverted to default. Since then (roughly 2 weeks) no GPU acceleration for fancy stuff (e.g. showing 3D views for models on a website for game assets, nothing I cannot do without). Also no freezes anymore, normal behaviour, but the cpu has more workload to process now.

Guess I went a bit overboard there. *knocks on wood* Perhaps you did do some changes like I did, and forgot about them, like me?