General Queries!

Iron Forum for english speaking people

CsCl

General Queries!

Post by CsCl »

Hi there,

Am new to the forums & using Sr Ware Iron for the 1st time.

1. Will it get updated automatically when a newer version comes out?

2. Do I need to install Flash & Java for it?

3. How can I set the default page as about blank?

4. In wrench > Options > Under the hood > Use DNS & Enable phishing be checked > Use SSL2 & Check for server be checked. Content Settings > Cookies > Block all 3rd party cookies?

5. Can I add a menu bar like IE 8?

6. May I ask why most pc users don't have good words for it & call it a hogger using memory resources?

7. What are the recommended ad dons regarding privacy, Video FLV down loader & converter etc.

Hoping to hear from you experienced geniuses,

Best Regards!
ironuser

Re: General Queries!

Post by ironuser »

Welcome, I hope you come to like Iron more and more.
1 - NO, you will need to keep an eye out here for the updates and manually download them.
2 - Not if you already have Flash a JAVA installed for browsers other than IE. If not, then yes, you will need to get them.
3 - Tools>Options>Basics check 'Open This page' and type about:blank in the box provided.
4 - I don't know what you are asking here. Please explain. Mine are checked, except for the Third Party Cookies thing, but I use private browsing exclusively, and don't give a rats butt whether cookies get set or not. They are gone at the end of the session.
5 - NO, and I Hope it never will! why mess up a good, small , fast, and clean browser browser with things like that? Look at what the developers of Firefox have done to their browser in the name of pleasing IE users! Bloat, Bloat.Bloat.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

6 - Can't answer that one. I imagine those 'most users' are probably fanboys of other browsers, or just plain don't knwo what they are doing, nor what their systems have going on that causes things to be slow. I run iron with several programs open most times, and it remains very fast.

7 - You will need to search for Iron and Chrome extensions that will allow you to do those things.
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2009/1 ... hrome.html
https://chrome.google.com/extensions
http://www.chrome-plugins.info/en/
CsCl

Post by CsCl »

Thanks for your reply which I apprecaite.

1. How often is Iron updated & is it easy to manually update it?

2. I have Flash & Java only for IE, so that means I will have to install it for Iron........how & from which site, procedure?

3. Should DNS & Enable phishing be CHECKED.....default UNCHECKED?

4. Should SSL & Check for Server be CHECKED......coz by default they are all UNCHECKED?

5. Does multiple tabs etc suck memory like hell..........cause they say SRWare Iron/Iron linux is G Chrome in a sandbox?

Hoping to hear from you,

Best Regards!
CsCl

Post by CsCl »

An article about SRWare Iron posted in a Forum:
"Light? Iron is the heaviest browser I have ever used. Yesterday, I had ONLY 17 tabs open. On Opera or Fx I usually have 40-50 tabs open. With just a few number of tabs open, Iron was using 340,000k memory! And my paging file which usually is never used above 20% was suddenly being using at 88%! (I have a paging file monitor so I know the percentage of use of the paging file. I had a small paging file which was plenty for several years until I made a modest increase of the RAM available for my virtual machine running Vista and then paging file use rose enough that I saw it necessary to increase the size of the paging file, which I did and then monitored it, and the usage dropped back to about 20% with peak at about 45%). Now Iron is so heavy that if I continue to use it I will have to double the current size of my paging file.
With 18 tabs open currently, Iron is using 365,000k memory! Opera 10.61 which does not release RAM when minimized (but may have released to Iron) is currently only using 85,000k with 45 tabs open! I think it probably has released memory for Iron to use because it generally would use 200,000k approximately with 45 tabs open. Here is Iron using 165,000k more memory than Opera usually uses and with LESS THAN ONE HALF THE TABS OPEN!
I usually have LESS than 60 processes running in Task Manager. With Iron open, I now have 89 processes running! Discrete tabs are nice IF, when there is a problem on one tab just that tab could be shut down, but Iron freezes totally and then crashes. It has crashed about 10 times in 24 hours. As for Iron being that different from Chrome, my understanding is that the differences are ONLY in Privacy and features. Iron is the same as Chromium except for removing the anti piracy features in Chromium. So, I doubt it is just Iron that is so super heavy a browser. It's designed to be super heavy because of the discreteness of each tab and running in a virtual sandbox which I don't need as I use Proxo. I don't want a separate process running in Task Manager for each tab especially when the tabs are not truly discrete as a problem with one tab can cause the whole browser to lockup and use 100% CPU and then crash or have to be forcibly shut down.
I still find using IE for internet settings to be a mystery. IE is the slowest browser out there so why using its settings would make Chrome/Chromium/Iron faster I don't understand. It would make it slower seems to me and that is what I am seeing. Yes, each tab opens very quickly but not as fast as Opera 10.61...close though. But opening tabs quickly is not the only consideration about fastness of a browser. (I can't see how to turn on a status bar so I can't see the exact time it takes to load a tab to compare loading time of the same site in Opera or Fx. Why is there no status bar)?
the person was useing a avatar, no name.this is one persons opinion.of iron and chrome and oprera and i think firefox ."
Hoping to hear your views about it.

Best Regards!
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

CsCl wrote:An article about SRWare Iron posted in a Forum:
"Light? Iron is the heaviest browser I have ever used. Yesterday, I had ONLY 17 tabs open. On Opera or Fx I usually have 40-50 tabs open. With just a few number of tabs open, Iron was using 340,000k memory! And my paging file which usually is never used above 20% was suddenly being using at 88%! (I have a paging file monitor so I know the percentage of use of the paging file. I had a small paging file which was plenty for several years until I made a modest increase of the RAM available for my virtual machine running Vista and then paging file use rose enough that I saw it necessary to increase the size of the paging file, which I did and then monitored it, and the usage dropped back to about 20% with peak at about 45%). Now Iron is so heavy that if I continue to use it I will have to double the current size of my paging file.
With 18 tabs open currently, Iron is using 365,000k memory! Opera 10.61 which does not release RAM when minimized (but may have released to Iron) is currently only using 85,000k with 45 tabs open! I think it probably has released memory for Iron to use because it generally would use 200,000k approximately with 45 tabs open. Here is Iron using 165,000k more memory than Opera usually uses and with LESS THAN ONE HALF THE TABS OPEN!
I usually have LESS than 60 processes running in Task Manager. With Iron open, I now have 89 processes running! Discrete tabs are nice IF, when there is a problem on one tab just that tab could be shut down, but Iron freezes totally and then crashes. It has crashed about 10 times in 24 hours. As for Iron being that different from Chrome, my understanding is that the differences are ONLY in Privacy and features. Iron is the same as Chromium except for removing the anti piracy features in Chromium. So, I doubt it is just Iron that is so super heavy a browser. It's designed to be super heavy because of the discreteness of each tab and running in a virtual sandbox which I don't need as I use Proxo. I don't want a separate process running in Task Manager for each tab especially when the tabs are not truly discrete as a problem with one tab can cause the whole browser to lockup and use 100% CPU and then crash or have to be forcibly shut down.
I still find using IE for internet settings to be a mystery. IE is the slowest browser out there so why using its settings would make Chrome/Chromium/Iron faster I don't understand. It would make it slower seems to me and that is what I am seeing. Yes, each tab opens very quickly but not as fast as Opera 10.61...close though. But opening tabs quickly is not the only consideration about fastness of a browser. (I can't see how to turn on a status bar so I can't see the exact time it takes to load a tab to compare loading time of the same site in Opera or Fx. Why is there no status bar)?
the person was useing a avatar, no name.this is one persons opinion.of iron and chrome and oprera and i think firefox ."
Hoping to hear your views about it.

Best Regards!
I haven't had those kind of problems, and I usually have 10 to 15 tabs open, and some of them running heavy graphics, or music. The browsing stays fast.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

CsCl wrote:Thanks for your reply which I apprecaite.

1. How often is Iron updated & is it easy to manually update it?
I can't answer that, I am not the developer.
CsCl wrote:2. I have Flash & Java only for IE, so that means I will have to install it for Iron........how & from which site, procedure?
Flash is from the Adobe site. search for Flash, it'll find a link to it. Java is from the Sun Site. again, search on JAVA, it will find the links to the pages.
CsCl wrote:3. Should DNS & Enable phishing be CHECKED.....default UNCHECKED?
Your preference
CsCl wrote:4. Should SSL & Check for Server be CHECKED......coz by default they are all UNCHECKED?
again, your preference
CsCl wrote:5. Does multiple tabs etc suck memory like hell..........cause they say SRWare Iron/Iron linux is G Chrome in a sandbox?
I haven't had that problem. See my answer to your post that had the big quote in it.
But I don't do Linux, so I can't speak for what it does there.
CsCl wrote:Hoping to hear from you,

Best Regards!
CsCl

Post by CsCl »

Thanks Iron user for clarifying the queries indepth. I appreciate it.

Regards!
CsCl

Post by CsCl »

Btw what's your personal prefernces regarding DNS, SSL, Philshing & Server?

Regards!
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

DNS and Phishing and malware checked.
SSL and Server checked.
They haven't cause me a problem, so I never bothered to look into changing them.