[Chromium] Side-bar

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Tendency

[Chromium] Side-bar

Post by Tendency »

I have asked this question so many times on the Chrome forums and on so many development channels from Google, but not even 1 official reply on this. So maybe I'm better off asking here!

So my question:
Will SRWare Iron (or Chromium at all) ever have the capability to add a bookmark side-bar like Firefox? It's the ONLY reason that prevents me from using Iron, since I hate having 100+ bookmarks at the top of my screen. Iron (Chromium) literally OWNS Firefox, Opera, Safari, Internet Explorer and any other browser out there at every aspect, but when it comes to bookmark organisation I must say it's a pain in the ass. What about adding a bookmark sidebar, like Firefox so when you click "Bookmarks" it slides out a side-bar with all your favourites organized that embeds itself in the browser. (So NOT a dockable one!)

Could anyone give me an official word on this, I seriously swear to god that if Chromium had such a bookmark sidebar the planet would be dominated by Chromium already!
SRWare
Site Admin

Re: [Chromium] Side-bar

Post by SRWare »

You can activate this (beta) over: about:labs
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
Tendency

Post by Tendency »

I did the following:
1) Opened SRWare Iron and browsed to: about:labs
2) I clicked on "Enable" below the Side Tabs information
3) I restarted my browser
4) What now? Where can I enable the sidebar?
bulek

Post by bulek »

Then you right-click on a tab and choose the new option "Use side tabs".
Tendency

Post by Tendency »

Lol, I actually meant a bookmark side-bar.. not possible I guess? ;)
xsubzer0x

Post by xsubzer0x »

I've actually been wondering about the same thing, only reason i haven't fully switched yet and have been sticking with firefox is because of the bookmark sidebar.
Tendency

Post by Tendency »

xsubzer0x wrote:I've actually been wondering about the same thing, only reason i haven't fully switched yet and have been sticking with firefox is because of the bookmark sidebar.
That is exactly my reason aswell. Nice statement! :)
megaman

Post by megaman »

I am with you guys, on that part. For now, I just use Neat Bookmarks. If someone can help me make that icon go on the left side of the browser it would be great. The best part of Neat Bookmarks is that they are arranged like they were in Firefox, unlike IE and many other browsers that arrange by Alphabetical order, I am not willing to adapt to that motion. XD

I'll add to the part where Neat Bookmarks stays On-Top so that I can open many tabs, unlike the sidebar from about:labs, since it closes after clicking on a link.
snorkasaurus

Post by snorkasaurus »

Even though this thread is old, I found megaman's post about Neat Bookmarks quite useful today. I don't want the Bookmarks Toolbar taking up real estate while I am browsing, and I sure don't want to access my bookmarks via Wrench -> Bookmarks. I wanted a way to keep my bookmarks accessible with one click, organized in a hierarchical collection, and not intruding on my page views (the way a sidebar or toolbar do) - Neat Bookmarks accomplished just that. I have no affiliation with anyone that makes or hosts Neat Bookmarks, I just found it useful, and hope someone else does too.

S.
---
What do you mean 'we' flesh-tube? - Bender
IronSky

Post by IronSky »

Another solution is to install Bookolio. This extension displays all your bookmarks in a new tab, neatly ordered by folder.
It can also show applications and includes various search engines, but I use it for simply accessing my bookmarks.
And, just like Neat Bookmarks, you can access all your bookmarks within two clicks.

The only disadvantage I see is that it replaces your new tab window, but if you didn't use those contents anyway, this is a fine extension!