Improving font rendering

Iron Forum for english speaking people

xMP44x

Improving font rendering

Post by xMP44x »

This is a question I'd love to find an answer to. I used to use Chrome, but now I'm on SRWare Iron, which is the same but better from what I can see. However, I have one problem. I use Windows 7 for my OS, and I have a program called GDI++ that improves my font rendering and makes fonts look much smoother. I love this program, and what I love even more is that it works so well with Firefox, which is my other main browser. Unfortunately when I use SRWare Iron I notice a slight problem: the program has no effect on Iron. It makes the address bar's fonts look really pretty, but has no effect on the webpages when I visit those. I've checked my GDI++ settings, and Iron.exe is not excluded from the programs it smooths the fonts of. I don't know why this isn't working with GDI, but I also had the same problem with Chrome. Is it something to do with the Chromium engine, and is there any way I can make it do what I want and look amazing? It works amazingly well, so it needs a look to reflect that! Thanks to anyone who can provide me with some conclusive answers and help. Even if it doesn't work I may well move over to Iron entirely, because I'm already falling in love with the interface of Chrome and Iron again.
ironfan

Re: Improving font rendering

Post by ironfan »

xMP44x, super, many thanks!
http://free.flop.jp/gdi++/upload.php
-> gdi0925.zip now works in XP toolbar very well detachable via click.
Already got hooked by this eye candy, working very fine with iron and everything else.
Udy

Post by Udy »

That tool might actually be illegal in certain nations... I think.
ironfan

Post by ironfan »

I'm in Germany - so thinking isn't necessary.
xMP44x

Post by xMP44x »

Sorry for the major bump on this thread, but I still have not yet found a way to make Chrome's fonts look as I was hoping they would. I tried gdi0925, but it did not alter anything for me. Is there a way to have the fonts I desire? If so it'll be a case of :ironvsff. If not, I might have to go back to the Firefox... which enjoys eating RAM. I was really hoping Iron would provide the great experience I was hoping for, and apart from the fonts, this is the perfect browser.
ironfan

Post by ironfan »

conditio sine qua non

xMP44x

Post by xMP44x »

I'm sorry, but I don't follow your post ironfan. I see the image and stuff, but I don't understand the text. According to Google Translate it is Italian. I know nothing in Italian, and unlike German or French, I can't really make an attempt of it without a translator. Unfortunately, even Google's Translator cannot convert it. I tried a bunch of different GDI++ programs, and none of them have been successful at changing the font smoothing in Iron. If I can't find anything I'll probably simply put up with the font rendering complaints I have in order to enjoy using Iron. The fonts are not terrible, and while I prefer the smoother fonts, the Iron fonts will be fine. Maybe in the future, SRWare themselves will address this so that those of us who enjoy using Iron, but want smoothed fonts, could allow it to be a possibility.
ironfan

Post by ironfan »

xMP44x, it just means an 'obligatory condition' - a funny old Latin word combination against boring English.
Meanwhile this "font improvement" is out of my eyes, don't like it any longer, seen it enough - a bit blurry.
It's purely a matter of taste.
Please excuse, if I couldn't help you.
Perhaps anybody else will give hints for your requirements.
Regardless of any font, Iron is the best web browser, quick and slim.
Furthermore happy use of this beautiful instrument for rapid surfing.
xMP44x

Post by xMP44x »

Yeah, I'm beginning to agree with you. I shall continue to use Iron regardless of the fonts, but it'd be lovely to get them just as I want them. Still: thanks for all the help you've given me!
arflech

Post by arflech »

^^"condition without which not"