How I should update Iron Portable?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

gunwitch

How I should update Iron Portable?

Post by gunwitch »

Hello,

first of all, thank you for creating the Iron - it's a really great alternative to Chrome.

I'm starting this topic, cause I'm completely unable to find an answer to the simple question:

How to update Iron Portable correctly?

In case of using the installer version everything is much more straightforward, but what should I do if I'm using the Portable? (which is very useful!)

Is it safe to just copy the new files over the old ones?
Or maybe there any extended upgrade instructions?

P.S.
I'm using Iron 3.0.197.0 (22047) and would like to upgrade to the new 5.0.380.
gdunc

Re: How I should update Iron Portable?

Post by gdunc »

I normally just delete the old Iron folder then replace it with the new Iron folder from your download.

Remember to re-download and copy a new adblock.ini from http://www.srware.net/downloads/adblock.ini and paste this file inside of the Iron folder and all should be working fine...

I've even used this method to update an installed version as well. :)
gunwitch

Post by gunwitch »

gdunc wrote:I normally just delete the old Iron folder then replace it with the new Iron folder from your download.
I've even used this method to update an installed version as well. :)
This way doesn't look safe at all.

It may work for the installed version because it stores settings and DBs in the separate folder.

But I doubt this will work for Portable version - all it's files are in the same folder, so if you delete it your settings, history, bookmarks, etc. will be lost.

P.S.
This topic got 200+ views, but still no reply from devs... :?
volvox

Post by volvox »

You don't delete the complete "IronPortable" folder. You just delete the "Iron" folder, which does NOT include your profile.

But if you want to be 100% sure, just start from scratch (you can import your bookmarks etc).
z25blink

Post by z25blink »

volvox wrote:You don't delete the complete "IronPortable" folder. You just delete the "Iron" folder, which does NOT include your profile.
Use my hints for safe order for upgrading (recommended behaviour)

Its for Instaler version, but order is same ("Iron version" is different .... 5.0.380.0 Portable ..... + ..... "location of folders" is other, ..... but "names" of folders are the same)

http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 3942#p3942

Dont be afraid, but Backup all before!
Happy upgrading!