Adblock

Iron Forum for english speaking people

tryforsure

Adblock

Post by tryforsure »

I'm using Iron 4 on winxp.
I was wondering if it is better to use the adblock extension, available as an addon, from
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... kkbiglidom

as this extension will autoupdate itself and is more user friendly overall.

Will it confict with Irons built in extension at all?

Thanks
Scorpius

Re: Adblock

Post by Scorpius »

I actually use both but I don't use that extension but the one named Adblock+.

The difference is clear: The extension will only hide the elements, but they are still downloaded (bandwidth is wasted).

The built-in adblock doesn't even download them, but since Chromium doesn't have content policy, you may realize that some pages look broken.

So I use the Adblock+ extension to hide those leftovers (CSS related) of the built-in adblock.
tryforsure

Post by tryforsure »

Thanks for that info I did not realise that ablock extension only hide the ads after downloading.

and thanks for the tip concerning the adblock+ element hider. I will use that as well as the built in blocker.
Udy

Post by Udy »

There is kinda like no point in using an extension to hide the ads while blocking the ads using adblock.ini.

The major advantage to using adblock.ini is simple: significant performance increase (esp. on netbooks). Loading, the hiding is no-where-as efficient as just blocking them all off.

Feel free to annoy SRWare to implement a GUI for the adblock.ini ....
swoody

Post by swoody »

Obviously, there's no adblock.ini file in the Linux version. Is there still a way to get the blocker to work with it? I thought I came across some info regarding this recently, but I can't find where :?
arflech

Post by arflech »

I'm thinking there is one, but it just doesn't go in the directory where the binaries are; have you tried the user-data folder, like ~/.chromium/