New Iron-Release: 5.0.326 Alpha for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

bulek

Re: New Iron-Release: 5.0.326 Alpha for Windows

Post by bulek »

Since this is my first post I can't start with anything else that excellent work SRWare!!! :-)

The new alpha version works very well for me. I found just two problems:

1. Incognito mode starts with "aww, snap!" page. Whatever I want to open in this mode it always very quickly ends with the same error message. As a result I can't use incognito at all. The only workaround is opening Iron with extensions disabled. Not sure if this is general problem or just my environment.

2. The latest Fanboy adblock.ini file (version 023B) contains a line with empty comment near the top of the file - just "#" character and nothing else. Iron seems to treat it as a part of filtering rules. Any URL in such case where a link where local anchor (bookmark) is used gets automatically blocked. For example http:///somesite.com/mainpage.html#section7 would be blocked. I am not sure if this affects also version 4.x of Iron.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

[quote="bulek"]
1. Incognito mode starts with "aww, snap!" page. Whatever I want to open in this mode it always very quickly ends with the same error message. As a result I can't use incognito at all. The only workaround is opening Iron with extensions disabled. Not sure if this is general problem or just my environment.[quote]

It's not a general problem. Incognito works well for me in the 5.0.326 Alpha version by using the --incognito switch after the execute string.

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\SRware-Iron-5\SRWare Iron\iron.exe"  --incognito
Have you tried starting Iron regular, then invoking an incognito window by using the TOOL the selecting 'New Incognito Window' or just doing a CTRL-SHIFT-N?

How do you try to start an in incognito mode?
bulek

Post by bulek »

I tried to run it in many different ways without any luck (menu, keyboard shortcut, command line). At the end I have recreated my user chromium profile and all of sudden everything works as expected :). Thanks for help anyway.
negated

Post by negated »

bulek wrote:1. Incognito mode starts with "aww, snap!" page. Whatever I want to open in this mode it always very quickly ends with the same error message. As a result I can't use incognito at all. The only workaround is opening Iron with extensions disabled. Not sure if this is general problem or just my environment..
Do you mean starting the process with "--disable-extensions" or actually uninstalling them all? I am having the same problem you are having with the "Aw Snap!" Incognito page, but I'm getting it even when I add "--disable-extensions" to the process...

-S
bulek

Post by bulek »

I can't check right now since after profile re-creation everything works even with extensions loaded. From what I remember however I tried to disable extensions in GUI and it did not help. I have not uninstalled them to try. Starting with "--incognito --disable-extensions" was working but only when there was no other active Iron window opened in normal mode.
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

I have noticed one more slight problem with this Alpha, if -enable-extensions is used in the icon target, Iron is very slow to bring up its first homepage. Without -enable-extensions it works as expected, nice quick load.
Not really bothered that this disables adblock.ini because I use a hosts file so no point having two things doing the same job, and the hosts file I think is better researched (or does adblock use data from hosts file releases?).. anyway does not matter.

The incognito icon switch can that be preceded by one dash or two, or doesn't it matter? --incognito or -incognito
I use -incognito and have no problem with it loading up in that mode.

Does anyone know if the new content features will be expanded on, I know its relatively new and taken ages just to get this far but....

For instance like No-Script has temporarily allow for this site options, currently if we allow any element for a web page then want to revoke the exception its a bit of a pain going back into options/under the hood/content/relevant tab/exceptions and removing the exception.... easier would be an additional option in the address bar icon, just to temporarily allow the element.
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

Passwords in alpha ae sometimes broken too - Particularly on websites that use java-script to make everything work. Allow the site to use java, (in normal mode not incognito otherwise you will not get the pop down option to save the password), refresh the page, enter password. The pop down appears, say yes to remember password for this site.

Next time you visit the site, the username is entered correctly, but the password is entered as stars (not just hidden by stars but the password is actually stars * ), and so the password gets rejected.
jerrytouille

Post by jerrytouille »

Udy wrote:Odd rendering glitches due to things being blocked by adblock.ini are still present. Will this be fixed?

For example,
https://www.google.com/adsense/
+1 plz fix :)
Saudrapsmann

Post by Saudrapsmann »

I have a problem with certain userscripts that I don't have in Iron 4 or any other browser. When Iron 5 alpha has userscripts that add something to the title of the tab like a counter, or adds icons into the page, Iron glitches out and starts overlapping the script over and over and over again, until soon I have a million of the same icons next to each other when the script updates itself.

I'm specifically having this problem with 4chan X, but as Iron 4 doesn't have the same problem, I'm guessing the problem lies in however Iron 5 alpha is running scripts?
Pierre771

Post by Pierre771 »

bulek wrote:2. The latest Fanboy adblock.ini file (version 023B) contains a line with empty comment near the top of the file - just "#" character and nothing else. Iron seems to treat it as a part of filtering rules. Any URL in such case where a link where local anchor (bookmark) is used gets automatically blocked. For example http:///somesite.com/mainpage.html#section7 would be blocked. I am not sure if this affects also version 4.x of Iron.
Hello

That's right, I met the problem too. I withdrawed the line.

Good Sunday
C'est trop injuste !