Iron Profiles - the easy way (Windows)

Iron Forum for english speaking people

ironuser

Iron Profiles - the easy way (Windows)

Post by ironuser »

Find your CHROMIUM folder, and copy the 'default' folder to another name. (Example, New-Name
Make a short cut on the desktop, and copy the following to the 'Target box.
"C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe" --user-data-dir="C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium\User Data\New-Name"

This assumes Iron is in the Program Files, and that Chromium is in the Local Settings Application User Data folder.
You can add your command line switches after the last " mark and make sure a space is between them.
Example; --enable-extensions --ingognito
z25blink

Re: Iron Profiles - the easy way (Windows)

Post by z25blink »

Iron and Chromium profiles are in the same folder :oops: :!:
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

z25blink wrote:Iron and Chromium profiles are in the same folder :oops: :!:
Do you also have Google Chrome installed?
As far as I know, the Chromium folder is for Iron. When I had Google Chrome it's profiles were in a folder labeled Google then down to another folder in that one. It may have been C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\Chrome. I don't remember the name. Sorry.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

OOPS! I left my user name in the documents and settings portion of the Target string n my OP.
Below is the corrected one, and you should put your name in before the Local Settings.
"C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe" --user-data-dir="C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR-NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium\User Data\New-Name"
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Well crap! I made a 'new profile' using the execute string in my previous posts, with the correct path to the executable and to the 'new' profile.

It worked, BUT, upon starting, Iron did not recognize my bookmarks and extensions that were copied too the new profile name.
I had to import the bookmarks(AGAIN), and then add in the extensions(AGAIN).
Appears to me to be a BIG BUG somewhere in there.
valerish

Post by valerish »

Here is my solution:

1) If Iron asks to set itself as default browser - do it.
2) Run regedit and follow to these keys: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Chromium.J5FPNQAYQH5D2OJOUZL73RPEPM and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromiumHTM.J5FPNQAYQH5D2OJOUZL73RPEPM. They are sequent so it is relatively easy to find both.
3) In the first key open subkeys with paths \.exe\shell\open\command and \.exe\shell\opennewwindow\command and change the Default value to <YOUR_IRON_PORTABLE_FOLDER>\IronPortable.exe" -- %*
4) In the second key open subkey with path \.exe\shell\open\command and change the Default value to <YOUR_IRON_PORTABLE_FOLDER>\IronPortable.exe" -- %1

Pay attention to different endings: %* and %1! And dont forget to replace <YOUR_IRON_PORTABLE_FOLDER> with your actual Iron Portable path :)