New Iron-Version: 34.0.1850.0 Stable for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

dph3055

Re: New Iron-Version: 34.0.1850.0 Stable for Windows

Post by dph3055 »

Just as an observation:

I have used Iron for more than a year. I appreciate the efforts that have gone into to providing a browser devoid of the all the "phone home" activities found in the regular version of Chrome.

The last few Iron releases have been buggy at best or just down right broken at worst. Either the Chrome source code is no longer conducive to porting into Iron or the developers have decided to focus their attentions elsewhere.

I for one am still running a v30 release as every time I attempt to install a newer version, I lose stability and functionality within Iron. I am getting to the point that I just don't install new releases anymore and I am sure I am not the only one. This is a growing problem for the developers and for Iron itself. The long term future of a browser that people are reluctant to upgrade speaks volumes towards to the future longevity of this project.

I would ask the developers to either recommit to Iron and begin to seriously test new releases before the are let loose on the masses or decide that Iron is no longer worth their time and let us know. To continue as we have been with release after release causing more problems than it addresses is nothing less than death by a 1000 cuts. It would be in everyone's best interests to have one final well tested release of Iron and then shelve the project if the time and effort going forward is too much for the developers to commit to.
wheat

Post by wheat »

I fixed the issue where a broken Google search screen appears on your 'new tab' page when you are using Google as your search provider. You need to create a new search engine and replace the third column with a search syntax that doesn't include any of Google's official domains. Try this:

https://www.gewgle.com/search?q=%s

It's crude, but it works fine.
wheat

Post by wheat »

I fixed the issue where a broken Google search screen appears on your 'new tab' page when you are using Google as your search provider. You need to create a new search engine and replace the third column with a search syntax that doesn't include any of Google's official domains. Try this:

https://www.gewgle.com/search?#q=%s

It's crude, but it works fine.
gzzabomb

Post by gzzabomb »

Is there some place where I can re-download version 33, please?
=====> srware_iron_33.0.1800.0
bugman

Post by bugman »

dph3055 wrote:Just as an observation:

I have used Iron for more than a year. I appreciate the efforts that have gone into to providing a browser devoid of the all the "phone home" activities found in the regular version of Chrome.

The last few Iron releases have been buggy at best or just down right broken at worst. Either the Chrome source code is no longer conducive to porting into Iron or the developers have decided to focus their attentions elsewhere.

I for one am still running a v30 release as every time I attempt to install a newer version, I lose stability and functionality within Iron. I am getting to the point that I just don't install new releases anymore and I am sure I am not the only one. This is a growing problem for the developers and for Iron itself. The long term future of a browser that people are reluctant to upgrade speaks volumes towards to the future longevity of this project.

I would ask the developers to either recommit to Iron and begin to seriously test new releases before the are let loose on the masses or decide that Iron is no longer worth their time and let us know. To continue as we have been with release after release causing more problems than it addresses is nothing less than death by a 1000 cuts. It would be in everyone's best interests to have one final well tested release of Iron and then shelve the project if the time and effort going forward is too much for the developers to commit to.

I have not choice but to agree with this. Iron versions from 27~30 where just starting to become stable but now the browser has random crashes and broken features so much so i can no longer consider it a daily rider. :(
I don't blame the iron developers its probably more a issue with the upstream trunk and branch teams at google doing what they can to try and continue to force us into their eco system by sabotaging the chromium source code.

Its now above all times that we need to remain ever so vigilant and come up with innovative solutions to give them the finger. :o

:ironvschrome
whileloop

Post by whileloop »

I hex edited resources.pak to hide the search box in NewTab page and show 12 thumbnails.
And I made a patch by using dUP2 patch creator.
If you are interest to try it, you can get it here.
It include .exe patcher and .dup2 patcher source.
Linux and Mac user may be able to run the patch by using wine.
slayerr

Post by slayerr »

bugman wrote: I have not choice but to agree with this. Iron versions from 27~30 where just starting to become stable but now the browser has random crashes and broken features so much so i can no longer consider it a daily rider. :(
I don't blame the iron developers its probably more a issue with the upstream trunk and branch teams at google doing what they can to try and continue to force us into their eco system by sabotaging the chromium source code.

Its now above all times that we need to remain ever so vigilant and come up with innovative solutions to give them the finger. :o

:ironvschrome
Opera also uses the Chromium source code and does not have these problems.
Azrael5

Post by Azrael5 »

I suggest to operate changes directly from chromium intead of chorme both linux and windows systems.
Jetway pt88bspro-ec|Pentium 4 670|OCZ Platinum DDR400 2x1GB|Sapphire HD3850 AGP|Creative XtremeGamer|Dexxa ps/2|Edifier S550|Asus VB175T|Xp
bugman

Post by bugman »

No choice*
mischa

Post by mischa »

Hey SRWare guys,

where's the source code? The download links to rapidshare just return a 404 error page...

Could you perhaps host the code in a repo somewhere? Think github?

Thanks!