Re: Iron as DefaultBrowser - Tool

Post by sonsonalex »

doesn't work on windows 8.1
any fix ?
usikpa

Post by usikpa »

I have Windows XP

When setting IRON as the default browser, it takes AGES!!!! to load the personal account / profile next time around... Why and how can this be fixed?
Z3ddy

Post by Z3ddy »

doesn't work on windows 8.1, any fix ?
Hfuirjk23

Post by Hfuirjk23 »

how can I set srware iron as default browser in linux mint x64?

Thanks
GCG

Post by GCG »

The default tool is NG for win 8 and 8.1. So fix it!
unlend

Post by unlend »

Default browser fix. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1.
Find iron.exe, right click, run as administrator.
DavidAllyn68

Post by DavidAllyn68 »

I had this problem, couldn't fix using the tool, couldn't fix "manually" via associations. However, I was able to make Iron (Portable) my default browser on two computers both running windows 7 by making IE the default then making Iron the default. It's probably not the "cleanest" (because you'll leave some IE defaults in place), but all links work and stuff opens Iron automatically -- so it's at least a good starting point.

1)Make Internet Explorer the default browser using the Default Programs control panel
-- Start Menu
-- Click Default Programs
-- Click "Set your default programs"
-- Click on the Internet Explorer icon
-- Click "Set this program as the default"
-- Close the window

2) Make Iron the default browser inside Iron itself
-- Open Iron directly from the .exe
-- If it asks with a banner "Iron isn't the default browser...", Click "Set as the default" or "OK"
-- If it doesn't ask, set it as the default using the settings.

LLAP
--Dave
mbernhardt

Post by mbernhardt »

I've been using Iron for a couple of years with no issues, as my default browser. I just updated for the first time in at least a year and now I can't get it to be the default browser in my Windows 7 SP1. It SAYS it is, but that translates to no default browser. Here is what I've done:
1. I tried the tool- twice
2. I tried making IE (and firefox) the browser and changing back
3. I tried running it as Administrator. My login IS as an administrator
4. I tried going into the windows default programs tool and setting as the default there (it's called Chromium there, not Iron), which is still wasn't. Now it's set but it STILL doesn't work.

I am about ready to give up on Iron. Any ideas?
AWEdio

Post by AWEdio »

DavidAllyn68 wrote:I had this problem, couldn't fix using the tool, couldn't fix "manually" via associations. However, I was able to make Iron (Portable) my default browser on two computers both running windows 7 by making IE the default then making Iron the default. It's probably not the "cleanest" (because you'll leave some IE defaults in place), but all links work and stuff opens Iron automatically -- so it's at least a good starting point.
Yeah I forgot this option was hiding there (in the control panel). Thing is, that does not work on Windows 8. I cannot open hyperlinks from Microsoft Outlook, because Windows says 'class not registered'. That means any time I get sent an email that has a hyperlink embedded under an image, I cannot open it. I cannot copy the hyperlink, because the only option is to copy the image. Effectively it renders a great deal of my emails utterly useless, which can be highly annoying.

It does seem as though there are 8 options you cannot assign to anything other than IE:
.mht
.mhtml
.partial
.svg
.url
.website
MK
RES

Microsoft are a giant pain in the ass and Windows 8 seems to be their most offensive and childish OS to date...
porrnr

Post by porrnr »

www.srware.net/downloads/old/, but I can't find a comprehensive list of available files.

I'd like to get Iron Portable 31.1700.0. Is this version available?

Thanks