New Iron-Version: 33.0.1800.0 Stable for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

DesElms

Re: New Iron-Version: 33.0.1800.0 Stable for Windows

Post by DesElms »

bugman wrote:I'm confident however that these bugs can be crushed for build 34
You are?

Er... I mean... uh... yes... of course you are! So am I.

But seriously...

...actually my sarcasm is, in my case, unwarranted. I think I've only reported an IRON bug or maybe two, over time; and my recollection is that it or they got taken care of in a timely fashion. Actually, at the moment, I can only remember what one of them was; but I'm virtually certain there have been at least two. Who knows, maybe three. I don't think I've reported more than that, though...

...and part of the reason is that for whatever reason, IRON (I use the portable version) always seems to behave pretty well for me. I, frankly, nearly never have the problems with it that I so often see in these threads. I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I've had a whole lotta' luck with it.

When I update the portable version, all I typically do, basically, is first I copy the three items in the "IronPortable" folder...

1) the "Iron" folder; and,
2) the "Profiles" folder; and,
3) the "IronPortable.exe" file

...into a folder I created called "Previous Version" (before which, I should have first written, I delete everything out of the "Previous Version" folder). Then I delete only...

2) the "IronPortable.exe" file

...from the "IronPortable" folder. And then, finally, I move only...

2) the "IronPortable.exe" file

...from wherever I unzipped the "IronPortable.zip" file (usually a "TEMP" folder beneath my "Downloads" folder).

Of course I do all this with the IRON portable browser closed; and, in fact, I only ever do it right after a fresh boot-up of the machine, before I've launched the IRON portable browser, so that there's no chance that any part of IRON portable or any of its extensions or apps is loaded into memory, or has a file lock on them, etc.

I then delete the "Profiles" folder out of the "TEMP" folder where I unzipped the "IronPortable.zip" file; and I then rename said "IronPortable.zip" file with the version number appended to it. So, for example, as of this writing, my copy of that file is named...

IronPortable_v33.0.1800.0.zip

...and then I move said file, so named, over into a folder beneath my downloads folder named "Installed" where I keep a copy of every single thing that's installed onto my machine (with those that require serial numbers or keys zipped into a .ZIP file along with a text file containing said serial numbers or keys). That way I can always reinstall anything I've ever installed from the originally installer.

At any given moment, I can have up to five versions of IRON portable in that "Installed" folder; and so I will occasionally delete all but maybe two or three of them so that I have at least that many previous versions.

If, for whatever reason, keeping the "Profiles" folder from version to version, like that, just doesn't work with a given version, then all one need do is delete that from the "IronPortable" folder, too; and just copy everything from the .ZIP archive. The reason that still works is because one's settings and which extensions and apps one has installed are all backed-up to one's Google account; and so as soon as one logs-in the browser to said account, and then is just patient for a few minutes, one's entirely new copy of IRON portable is all updated with all of one's normal stuff. The only thing one must do is a few additional little settings; and one need also manually install any extensions/apps that aren't in the Chrome Web Store. Sometimes, when IRON PORTABLE's acting particularly weird, it can pay to just replace the "Profiles" folder to sorta' kinda' start completely from scratch so that no part of any earlier version is part of the latest version running.

That's always been my procedure, and for some reason I just tend to rarely have many problems with IRON; or, rather, perhaps better said: I just don't seem to have the problems that so many others, here, have.

For whatever that's worth.
Gregg L. DesElms
Napa, California USA
gregg at greggdeselms dot com
CrazyLover

Post by CrazyLover »

We wait for New Version of SRWare Iron bikouse
The Stable Channel has been updated to 33.0.1750.152 for Mac and Linux and 33.0.1750.154 for Windows.

Security Fixes and Rewards

Congratulations to VUPEN and an Anonymous submission for winning the Pwn2Own competition.

[$100,000] [352369] Code execution outside sandbox. Credit to VUPEN.
[352374] High CVE-2014-1713: Use-after-free in Blink bindings
[352395] High CVE-2014-1714: Windows clipboard vulnerability

[$60,000] [352420] Code execution outside sandbox. Credit to Anonymous.
[351787] High CVE-2014-1705: Memory corruption in V8
[352429] High CVE-2014-1715: Directory traversal issue

We’re delighted at the success of Pwn2Own and the ability to study full exploits. We anticipate landing additional changes and hardening measures for these vulnerabilities in the near future. We also believe that both submissions are works of art and deserve wider sharing and recognition. We plan to do technical reports on both Pwn2Own submissions in the future.
Team SRWare Iron Most Fast Fixed this.
Azrael5

Post by Azrael5 »

aero peek doesn't work on windows 7.
Jetway pt88bspro-ec|Pentium 4 670|OCZ Platinum DDR400 2x1GB|Sapphire HD3850 AGP|Creative XtremeGamer|Dexxa ps/2|Edifier S550|Asus VB175T|Xp
sl0008866

Post by sl0008866 »

When I print to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, the file is created, but deleted immediately afterwards.
lylejk

Post by lylejk »

Saw on Beta News the other day that there's already an update to Chrome. It also would be cool to post updates to Iron at Beta News (don't think it would cost you anything to do so; they advertise both commercial and Open Source updates there). :)
bugman

Post by bugman »

Azrael5 wrote:aero peek doesn't work on windows 7.
To the best that i can tell it seems to be working fine for me. :ironvschrome

sl0008866 wrote:When I print to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, the file is created, but deleted immediately afterwards.

I'm getting the same thing :(
lylejk

Post by lylejk »

I'm also getting no print out with Windows XPS printer. Running Win XP in a virtual machine. Possible reason why a new version of Chrome was released so soon after the 1800 series but I've not researched the issue yet. Hopefully a fix for Iron will happen shortly. :)
PeterF

Post by PeterF »

Hi.

With email links i have noticed if you go into Iron or any browser and make it the Default Browser it should work.

Or

You may need to go into your operating system and under default programs section select html etc to be opened by Iron.

Just Google how to changed default program in windows 7

You cant just install Iron and expect it open links from with in emails. What ever software you are using its still defaulted to the last browser.
bugman

Post by bugman »

One final thing i wanted to add.

Vine also doesn't seem to be working reliably for me either. Videos are not playing. Is this happening to anyone else ?
patch

Post by patch »

Many problems with find and download previous version 32. Current version 33 have flash corrupted :/