New Iron-Version: 33.0.1800.0 Stable for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

mapx

Re: New Iron-Version: 33.0.1800.0 Stable for Windows

Post by mapx »

slayerr wrote:Can't you guys just implement Pepperflash and make it default on Iron? So many problems because of this. :|
I guess pepperflash is google's property, so ...
lino316

Post by lino316 »

Saurabh wrote:
oki88 wrote:Trying to launch Iron v33 with command line (see below) and it exits immediately. I don't know/see any reason.

Code: Select all

D:\bin\IronPortable\Iron\iron.exe" -user-data-dir="D:\Tmp\Iron\p"
where: "D:\Tmp\Iron\p" contains current profile.

It always worked well with all previous versions and now it suddenly fails.

How to find out the reason why v33 exits?
Indeed....Previous versions of Iron worked well when command line switched were added. This version doesn't work. Nothing happens when you clock on the Icon from the desktop when command line switches are added to it.
Tell me about it. This version doesn't work with switches, not for me anyway. I even had issues with getting it to launch from the taskbar with no switches. It seems that messing around with the naming system of iron.exe and chrome.exe in the 1750.1 release introduces a new sytem wide bug to any system it is done on with it not launching from the taskbar when the names are put back to the way they should be.

Pissing around with pepperflash isn't a solution imo, Even when trying to incorporate it, it wouldn't work for me due to the switches not working, it would either not launch, or it would say invalid target, even though i checked it about 10 times.

Sticking with 1700, anything past here is way to much hassle, 31 works great for me.
oki88

Post by oki88 »

Saurabh wrote: Indeed....Previous versions of Iron worked well when command line switched were added. This version doesn't work. Nothing happens when you clock on the Icon from the desktop when command line switches are added to it.
@Saurabh, thank you for confirming that problem.

I always use a lot of command line switches, every time I launch Iron. And I can't run Iron without them now.

Guys, please fix it ASAP!

Meantime I've returned back to v30, which is working well so far...
beba

Post by beba »

mapx wrote:launching iron to use pepperflash (ppapi flash version)

download chrome portable from http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/g ... e_portable
"install" it in some desktop folder
search to find the pepperflash folder

if you got pepperflash files (from chrome portable folders) and placed them in c:\pepperflash folder, your shortcut must be like this one:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\chrome.exe"  --ppapi-flash-path=C:\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll --ppapi-flash-version=12.0.0.70
enable ppapi, disable npapi: go to chrome:/plugins, click details, see flash settings, disable npapi, enable ppapi, restart iron

tried steps as suggested and worked ok but after restarting iron ppapi just disappears from iron chrome:plugins tab leaving only npapi disabled
mapx

Post by mapx »

I didn't try the pepperflash trick with iron 33 ...
Azrael5

Post by Azrael5 »

what's the benefit in pepper?
Jetway pt88bspro-ec|Pentium 4 670|OCZ Platinum DDR400 2x1GB|Sapphire HD3850 AGP|Creative XtremeGamer|Dexxa ps/2|Edifier S550|Asus VB175T|Xp
mapx

Post by mapx »

if you use adblock plus, due to a chromium bug ==> the video ads (on sites like youtube) are not blocked if you use npapi flash. It works only with pappi (pepperflash)

probably the patch for npapi will land with chrome v.34

otherwise ppapi has other limits ...
DesElms

Making FLASH stop crashing... at least in IRON PORTABLE

Post by DesElms »

beba wrote:tried steps as suggested and worked ok but after restarting iron ppapi just disappears from iron chrome:plugins tab leaving only npapi disabled
I'm now using IRON PORTABLE, ver 33.0.1800.0, and until a few minutes ago, Flash was crashing about half to three-quarters of the time. I deliberately didn't install the previous version because people were complaining, here, about that (and some other stuff); but I was starting to hit websites now and then which thought my version of Chrome wasn't high enough (plus there were a couple of other oddities), and so I finally upgraded to 33.0.1800.0 yesterday (portable version, though).

What I did to finally stop the crashing, a few minutes ago, was basically the steps to which you refer, "beba," except that my precise location of the pepflashplayer.dll file is different from what's in the steps. I've found that as long as it's not a pathname that has spaces in it (like, for example C:\Program Files\... does) then just about any location and path will work; though, the shorter the better. Mine is P:\PepFlash\pepflashplayer.dll, where P: is a virtual drive (using this "Visual Subst"freeware app) so that I could still put it in a folder beneath C:\Program Files\... but could avoid that space-in-the-path problem; and "PepFlash" is the folder in drive P: where I put the pepflashplayer.dll file.

Let me make all that more clear: I have a folder called C:\Program Files\Portable where I keep IRON PORTABLE; and that's the folder that I call drive P: using the Visual Subst app. Though it's only incidental to my overall point(s), here, I also use this "Yadis! Backup" app to keep drive P: in constant sync with my USB flash/thumb drive; and so when I'm on my machine, I work out of drive P:, but when I'm out and about on others' machines, I work off the flash drive which, because of Yadis!, is always a current copy of whatever I was last doing on my machine. Then when I return home, Yadis! syncs whatever I did out in the field on the flash drive with drive P: ... for whatever your knowing any of that is worth.

So, then, my IRON-PORTABLE-launching shortcut string looks exactly like this...

"P:\IronPortable\IronPortable.exe" --ppapi-flash-path=P:\PepFlash\pepflashplayer.dll --ppapi-flash-version=12.0.0.70

...exactly as it appears there -- quotation marks (or not) and everything -- and it launches just fine, no problems. Then, once IRON PORTABLE launched the first time that way, I opened a tab to...

chrome://plugins

...and I basically disabled any Flash item that wasn't to the pepflashplayer.dll file on its drive P: path (being careful not to accidentally also disable the Shockwave player item, which is whole different thing). All Flash player items tend to be in the same section on that plugins page. Just make sure the entire section's enabled, then just disable any flash entries which don't contain the path to the pepflashplayer.dll file (again, being careful not to inadvertently disable Shockwave, if it's also there).

Then, even though I knew I didn't really have to, I closed the IRON PORTABLE browser and waited for the hard drive light to calm down so I knew that whatever was closing with it also got closed (I actually went and got coffee during it)...

...and then I came back and re-opened IRON PORTABLE from my shortcut which contained the above-shown switch...

...and then, lo and behold, Flash started working for me everywhere, every time. I started testing with the Adobe flash test page, where it worked beautifully (it crashed about half or more the time, there, before); then I found a few private Flash test pages (mostly on college websites and stuff; just Google the phrase "test flash player" and you'll stumble onto a few) out there; and for the first time since I upgraded yesterday, Flash stopped crashing pretty much everywhere. It's at least as reliable -- more so, actually -- as the two- or three-versions ago copy that I was using 'til yesterday.

It's still not working when I click on the "watch demo" button on this page, but I'm starting to think that there's a problem with that page, and not Flash in IRON. At least it's not crashing on that page anymore (as it had been): it just, now, for me, at least, shows as a blank white pop-up. Before, it showed as a gray pop-up with the frowny puzzle-piece face, and the warning bar across the top telling me that flash had crashed. It's a YouTube video, in any case, which I can see by hovering the mouse pointer over the button and looking in the lower-leftmost corner of the browser and looking at the link; and if I just go to that link in a new tab, directly on the YouTube site, I see this video, which works just fine. Even it, though, was crashing Flash about half the time before. Now it works every single time.

So this method with the pepflashplayer.dll file, and the switch in the shortcut, definitely works, at least with IRON PORTABLE. The trick, I think, is to ensure that there are no spaces in the path to the pepflashplayer.dll file in the switch (which I resolved using the Visual Subst app). Beyond that, don't even worry about whether to enable or disable ppapi or npapi or whatever. Instead, just find what should be the one-and-only Flash-related entry on the chrome://plugins page that shows the path to the popflashplayer.dll file, and make sure it's the only Flash-related entry that's enabled. Whether you also need to close and then re-open the browser is debatable; but I did it, just for grins... mostly because I'm anally-retentive. [grin]

Hope that helps!
Gregg L. DesElms
Napa, California USA
gregg at greggdeselms dot com
formidible

Post by formidible »

Clicking on links no longer opens Iron as default browser. I thought you'd sorted this issue out with the last version? Its so frustrating.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Looks like I am staying with 30.0.1650.0 for now. From some of the problems I see described, 30.0.1650.0 still works well and NONE of these problems I see in these(and the V32) postings) exist.
Maybe someday the devs for the chromium project will pull there heads out of there asses, and FULLY test before a release.