Iron Portable upgrade to a new version - how?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

ssadfaf

Iron Portable upgrade to a new version - how?

Post by ssadfaf »

First of all, thank You for such great browser! :ironvsff :ironvsopera :ironvssafari :ironvschrome :ironvsie
And sorry for my English. :oops:
I'm using Iron portable and very happy of it. I have a lot of useful iron/chrome extensions, bookmarks, stored passwords, history, etc. and all this stuff is portable! My Iron with all my settings is always with me. Good! That is a great advantage for using Iron portable.
The only one thing which preventing me from making Iron portable as my default browser is that there's no instruction how to upgrade Iron portable version.
I searched the forum and found lots of questions about but not any answer. If I missed something, then thank You for link to it.

So, please answer: Can I upgrade Iron portable without loosing my personal data and without re-installing all my 1000 extensions?
TY 4 manual in advance.
Or, just tell me that it is impossible without exporting/importing personal data and installing extensions again.
Thank You anyway for such a good browser (which could be the greatest one with upgrade for portable version).
mapx

Re: Iron Portable upgrade to a new version - how?

Post by mapx »

The installation process will not delete your settings/extensions/etc which are stored in a path like this: "E:\PortableApps\GoogleChromePortable\Data"

I did myself the test (first I saved my iron portable folder)

download the iron portable installer, run it, pointing to the same portable iron folder ==> all the settings are still the old ones (bookmalrks, history, passwords etc.)

More, you could do something else: if you are using a gmail account you can use sync feature to save all your settings (including stable extensions from the store)
ssadfaf

Post by ssadfaf »

Sorry but You are lying. Not good.
Iron Portable is shipped as a zip-file, there's no installer at all, so U couldn't "run the installer and point to the same folder".
I unpacked zip-file and overwrote files in old directory and lost all my data.
So, I rolled back from backup and now I'm using old version of Iron Portable.

Hope, developers will answer my question whether is it possible (and how?) or not.
mapx

Post by mapx »

well, someone helps you and you are ...a ...

I told you: I tested it personally

go here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl ... 0Portable/

and take the installer
mapx

Post by mapx »

you can take the installer also here:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/iron_portable
ssadfaf

Post by ssadfaf »

mapx wrote:you can take the installer also here:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/iron_portable
1. Yes! It works! TY very much!
2. Sorry for my confusion and blaming U ;-)
3. But it is rather strange that developers do not provide 'exe' installation file and do not tell users how to install it. This info should be sticked IMHO.
4. TY 1 more time!

P.S.: This browser is the best one!