Iron is listed 14 times in Windows Task Manager

Iron Forum for english speaking people

BKC

Iron is listed 14 times in Windows Task Manager

Post by BKC »

In Windows Task Manager, Iron is listed 14 times in the Processes section. Iron is loaded only once so why are there so many listings for it? My CPU usage is soaring because of this. I have never seen another browser do this. What's wrong? What should I do to correct this?

I'm using Version 27.0.1500.0 (201000) under Windows 7
ironuser

Re: Iron is listed 14 times in Windows Task Manager

Post by ironuser »

BKC wrote:In Windows Task Manager, Iron is listed 14 times in the Processes section. Iron is loaded only once so why are there so many listings for it? My CPU usage is soaring because of this. I have never seen another browser do this. What's wrong? What should I do to correct this?

Click the three bar icon, select Tools>Task Manager. How many 'operations' are shown there? From what I know Iron(and Chrome) open more than just the instance you see in front of you, including extensions and plugins in use.
Maybe SRWare or mapx will come along and explain it better.
BTW, I have 7 in my Windows Task manager and 7 in Iron's task manager.

BTW2>> If you click the 'Purge' button, don't be surprised if Iron crashes. This also happens with Chrome on my machine as well.
BKC

Post by BKC »

There are 15 Tasks within Iron's Task manager. All extensions and tabs are listed. The ones using the most Memory are Adblock, GPU Process and Shockwave Flash Plug-in.
mapx

Post by mapx »

"Unlike most current web browsers, Google Chrome uses many operating system processes to keep web sites separate from each other and from the rest of your computer. "

more, here
http://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/multi- ... cture.html
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

BKC wrote:In Windows Task Manager, Iron is listed 14 times in the Processes section. Iron is loaded only once so why are there so many listings for it? My CPU usage is soaring because of this. I have never seen another browser do this. What's wrong? What should I do to correct this?

Iron, like chrome, creates 2-3 tasks per tab.

The results of it are:
+ All ram is recovered when a tab is closed
+ Crashes are usually limited to one tab
+ Security
+ Near 100% scaling with additional cores
+ RAM consumption is kept in check over time
- Slight (and I do mean slight) increase in upfront RAM cost per tab

It most definitely does not cause an INCREASE in CPU usage, it causes an increase in CPU efficiency.
robertcollier4

Post by robertcollier4 »

Launch with "--process-per-site" - there will be fewer processes and lower memory usage overall.
BKC

Post by BKC »

The link listed by mapx explains very well why there are so many processes. Thanks to him/her.

I've decided to try the suggestion of robertcollier4 to edit the path of the Target field by switching from process-per-tab (the default) to process-per-site. I'll see if that helps with my Memory Usage problem. For me using Windows 7 the target path would be as follows:
"C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe" -process-per-site

For this choice, tabs from the same site will run under the same process. To read more about this, visit this site:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-cool-tri ... le-chrome/

However, don't try single-process. You will receive a severe warning not to use it.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

robertcollier4 wrote:Launch with "--process-per-site" - there will be fewer processes and lower memory usage overall.
Don't do that, it will reduce your actual performance.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

taltamir wrote:
robertcollier4 wrote:Launch with "--process-per-site" - there will be fewer processes and lower memory usage overall.
To clarify, rather than helping the OP "resolve" this issue.
You should explain to him that this isn't some "flaw", bug, or an issue to fix.
Rather, this is how chrome is meant to work and is a large part of why chrome is the fastest browser around.
sting101

Post by sting101 »

taltamir wrote:
taltamir wrote:
To clarify, rather than helping the OP "resolve" this issue.
You should explain to him that this isn't some "flaw", bug, or an issue to fix.
Rather, this is how chrome is meant to work and is a large part of why chrome is the fastest browser around.
Don't know what you mean by "this is how chrome is meant to work" but I sure remember having up to 40 tabs and I would never face this same Low Memory Windows Warning issue which leads to iron crashing and losing all my tabs over and over again. This only started happening recently. almost 100mb per tab, do you call this normal?

I also remember iron loading only the current tab that's in use rather fire them all at the same time wasting bandwidth and slowing the whole start up process, what happened to that approach?

I only registered because of this issue, before I had nothing and I mean absolutely nothing to complain about.

Latest SRWare on Win7 x86 with:
Adblock
Disconnect
HTTPS Everywhere
Privacy Options
YouTubeOptions