Win 8 Pro (x64) compatibility?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

AWEdio

Re: Win 8 Pro (x64) compatibility?

Post by AWEdio »

I found the only way I could get Iron to work properly on Windows 8 was to install the program as administrator AND open the program as administrator (right click the install exe and open as administrator, also right click and open the installed software as administrator).

Once I had done this, I was able to go into the Settings page and make Iron the default browser...

However, now I have a different problem. I have to open the program as administrator every time I want to use it. If I don't (if I simple double click the icon or right click and 'open' then windows opens a blank black screen for several minutes, after which it reverts back to the Metro menu. If I then click on the desktop icon, I am finally shown the Iron browser window. This is incredibly annoying when I am in a hurry and I forget to open as administrator because it can take up to 5 minutes for my system to be functional again!
formidible

Post by formidible »

Yeah, this is simply not good enough, and I've gone back to Chrome. Hopefully Iron will fix this issue. I found by adding the free AVG track blocker extension to Chrome blocks virtually all analytics (including Google) and other ads effectively which is what Iron is supposed to do anyway and the only reason for using it.
mapx

Post by mapx »

formidible wrote:Yeah, this is simply not good enough, and I've gone back to Chrome. Hopefully Iron will fix this issue. I found by adding the free AVG track blocker extension to Chrome blocks virtually all analytics (including Google) and other ads effectively which is what Iron is supposed to do anyway and the only reason for using it.
to block analytics you must install some adblocker. Iron gus removed only some code from chromium / chrome which was communicating with google servers.
formidible

Post by formidible »

I just said that - I installed AVG Do Not Track extension - it allows you to block virtually everything in the settings panel.
mapx

Post by mapx »

"what Iron is supposed to do anyway and the only reason for using it"

and I told you don't expect something from iron you can realize using adblocker or in your case avg
robidoo

Post by robidoo »

This issue is frustrating and mind-numbing.... All other browser show up in default programs but this one.
I have no other option than to return to Comodo Dragon.
robidoo

Re: Win 8 Pro (x64) compatibility? - SOLUTION

Post by robidoo »

I have finally fixed the issue of making Iron the default browser on Windows 8.

1 - Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\SRWare Iron
2 - Right-click the "chrome" (not Iron) application file and run as Administrator
3 - Iron will open and ask if you want to make it the default browser
4 - You can also thereafter go to settings and make it the default
5 - In your Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Default Programs... Chromium will be listed and you can select it as the default browser

That's it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.