Portable becomes non portable on win7

Iron Forum for english speaking people

taltamir

Portable becomes non portable on win7

Post by taltamir »

Iron portable has the following dir structure.

/IronPortable.exe
/Iron/
/Profile/
of note is that /Iron/ contains /Iron/Iron.exe

/Iron/Iron.exe runs a non portable version of iron that stores the settings ... well I have no idea where, I couldn't find it. But I empirically tested it to be:
1. Unique per computer.
2. Independent of the profile directory in the portable folder.

Issue 1:
When you run /IronPortable.exe and choose "pin to taskbar", all future runs via the taskbar will open /Iron/Iron.exe instead of the /IronPortable.exe making it non portable!

Issue 2:
There is no explanation of the fact that you should only run /IronPortable.exe and not /Iron/Iron.exe due to the latter running as a non portable version.

Issue 3:
Where does /Iron/Iron.exe store its profile? I want to move it to the portable directory.
Would doing so hamper portability?
taltamir

Re: Portable becomes non portable on win7

Post by taltamir »

to clarify
Issue 3:
Where does /Iron/Iron.exe store its profile? I want to move it to the portable directory.
Would doing so hamper portability?
Would overwriting the profile in the portable directory with a non portable profile mess it up or can I just do so freely with the changes to make it portable being entirely contained in the "IronPortable.exe" file.
If it is a problem, how do I modify a non portable profile to be portable?
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

Based on the topic: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=565

I was able to locate my user profile at:
C:\Users\<My Username>\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data

I also answered issue 3 in full by copying it over to the IronPortable profile directory and overwriting all data and as a result I got a working portable version of Iron...
Well, ALMOST.

Issue 1 rears its ugly head again. I cannot pin it properly to taskbar. I can manually pin IronPortable.exe but running that merely runs the non portable exe which results in there being 2 seperate icons, one for the shortcut I made and one for the actually running program (non portable exe).
Not to even mention file association if I want to make it the default browser. Which is, I guess, Issue 4.

So in summary.
Portability is completely and massively broken on Iron.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

any news on this one?
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

anyone?
testpilot

Post by testpilot »

You have to launch your browser using IronPortable.exe, not /Iron/iron.exe. Only then it uses the Profile data in your IronPortable folder.
IronPortable.exe is not actually the main executable itself, but rather a "script," that instructs iron.exe to use non-default Profile folder.

If you want to make a shortcut to your Taskbar, right-click on IronPortable.exe (without actually launching it) and click "Pin to Taskbar."
mapx

Post by mapx »

taltamir

Post by taltamir »

I did not. However, even if it were to work the version being distributed by srware has the defect I am describing.