Problems with Version 24.0.1350.0 (176001) (portable)

Iron Forum for english speaking people

DesElms

Problems with Version 24.0.1350.0 (176001) (portable)

Post by DesElms »

RE: Version 24.0.1350.0 (176001) running on 32-bit Vista SP-2

This version is loading more slowly, on first launch after a machine boot-up, than any previous version... at least for me. I can almost hop in the car and go to the local coffee shop in the time it's taking to load. Even if I disable all extensions/plug-ins, it still loads more slowly than the previous version did if I disabled all extensions/plug-ins in it. So, yes, some of the slowness is the extensions/plug-ins, but what I'm saying is that however slower was the previous version with all extensions/plug-ins enabled, this version is many times more slow on first launch after a machine boot-up.

Additionally, it seems to be displaying more web pages oddly... there's lots of little incidents of text bleeding out to the right, such as I've circled in red in the attached screenshot, which the previous version didn't do. This makes me worry that it's not complying with standards well.

Also, it's hard to describe this one, but let me try: If I open a page in a tab, and then close that tab, the next tab that I open will sometimes be displaying the closed-tab's page. This also happens if I open a link on a page in a new tab; for an instant, when the new tab first opens, it displays whatever page was displaying in the most-recently closed tab. This is very annoying; and it was definitely not something that was present in the previous version.

Finally -- and I reported this be email in the previous version, but was apparently ignored -- the behavior of the bookmarking system, when one clicks on the little star at the far right end of the omnibox, is broken in both this version, and the immediately-previous one. The symptom is that when I click on the star, the "Bookmark Added" drop-down dialog appears, as normal (however, it's now white instead of the previous gray); but, if I then try to click on the drop-down selector list field through which I may select a recent folder in which to put said bookmark, nothing happens. In order to select a folder, I must click, instead, on the "Edit" button to pop-up the entire list of all folders. Please do not make me keep reporting this bug. It should have been respected the first time I reported it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gregg L. DesElms
Napa, California USA
gregg at greggdeselms dot com
lacavagyok

Re: Problems with Version 24.0.1350.0 (176001) (portable)

Post by lacavagyok »

Version 24.0.1350.0 (176001) running on 32-bit XP SP-2. I staibilan as the primary installation. The V21 and V22 portable better.
DesElms

Post by DesElms »

DesElms wrote:RE: Version 24.0.1350.0 (176001) running on 32-bit Vista SP-2
Finally -- and I reported this be email in the previous version, but was apparently ignored -- the behavior of the bookmarking system, when one clicks on the little star at the far right end of the omnibox, is broken in both this version, and the immediately-previous one. The symptom is that when I click on the star, the "Bookmark Added" drop-down dialog appears, as normal (however, it's now white instead of the previous gray); but, if I then try to click on the drop-down selector list field through which I may select a recent folder in which to put said bookmark, nothing happens. In order to select a folder, I must click, instead, on the "Edit" button to pop-up the entire list of all folders. Please do not make me keep reporting this bug. It should have been respected the first time I reported it.
I earlier, in this thread, wrote the above. With the new version 25.0.1400.0 (185000), portable, it seems to be fixed... though the background of the little dropdown is still white, whereas it was gray just before it broke a couple of versions ago. The color obviously makes no difference, though; gray or white, doesn't matter... but I'm just sayin'. The bottom line is that I'm just so grateful that it's working again. THANK YOU!!!

I haven't tested any of the other things about which I complained in my thread-starting post, but I will, and I'll report back. Come to think of it, though, it seems that it did start-up fairly quickly immediately after upgrading to 25.0.1400.0 (185000), which start-up was the first one after reboot. So, maybe that's fixed, too. We'll see.

More later.

Thanks!!!
Gregg L. DesElms
Napa, California USA
DesElms

Post by DesElms »

Okay, here's my final update on how or if the following items are fixed in version 25.0.1400.0 (portable):
DesElms wrote:RE: Version 24.0.1350.0 (176001) running on 32-bit Vista SP-2

This version is loading more slowly, on first launch after a machine boot-up, than any previous version... at least for me. I can almost hop in the car and go to the local coffee shop in the time it's taking to load. Even if I disable all extensions/plug-ins, it still loads more slowly than the previous version did if I disabled all extensions/plug-ins in it. So, yes, some of the slowness is the extensions/plug-ins, but what I'm saying is that however slower was the previous version with all extensions/plug-ins enabled, this version is many times more slow on first launch after a machine boot-up.[/b]
It's definitely faster loading, initially, overall; but still slower than some earlier versions. It's a bit faster, though, on second and successive loadings, after a boot-up. So, overall, there's a net increase in speed, but it's only slight.
DesElms wrote: Additionally, it seems to be displaying more web pages oddly... there's lots of little incidents of text bleeding out to the right, such as I've circled in red in the attached screenshot, which the previous version didn't do. This makes me worry that it's not complying with standards well.[/b]
I haven't seen any more of this problem.
DesElms wrote: Also, it's hard to describe this one, but let me try: If I open a page in a tab, and then close that tab, the next tab that I open will sometimes be displaying the closed-tab's page. This also happens if I open a link on a page in a new tab; for an instant, when the new tab first opens, it displays whatever page was displaying in the most-recently closed tab. This is very annoying; and it was definitely not something that was present in the previous version.[/b]
This seems to be gone (though I think I saw at least one little bit of a flicker of what I described above, once; I might have been mistaken). By and large, this problem now seems gone. There's a new one, though, in its place: When I'm typing into a text box, or sometimes various kinds of data fields, or even, occasionally, in GMAIL, the little squiggly red lines below words that the spell-checker can't recognize will appear, even if spell-checking is turned off; yet when I finish and click pretty much anywhere else on the page, or sometimes only if I just press the space bar after the last word that I typed on which it happened, it all clears. Weird.
DesElms wrote: Finally -- and I reported this be email in the previous version, but was apparently ignored -- the behavior of the bookmarking system, when one clicks on the little star at the far right end of the omnibox, is broken in both this version, and the immediately-previous one. The symptom is that when I click on the star, the "Bookmark Added" drop-down dialog appears, as normal (however, it's now white instead of the previous gray); but, if I then try to click on the drop-down selector list field through which I may select a recent folder in which to put said bookmark, nothing happens. In order to select a folder, I must click, instead, on the "Edit" button to pop-up the entire list of all folders. Please do not make me keep reporting this bug. It should have been respected the first time I reported it.
As I reported earlier, herein, this problem is completely fixed. In fact, it's even better than I thought, to wit: Even when it worked before, it never "remembered" what folders had been used from browser session to browser session. Now, it "remembers" the five most recently selected folders (in addition to "Bookmars Bar," "Other Bookmarks," and "Choose another folder") that I used, even if it's from a previous browser session. That is very cool! Again, the background of the dialog is white, now, and not gray, like before... but who cares about that?!? [grin]

So, then, bottom line, except for new 25.0.1400.0 (portable) doing the weird thing with the little red squiggly spell-checker lines, as earlier herein described, it seems that all's fixed, by hook or by crook. I'm still testing and observing, but this version is the best one in a while, it seems. Things where starting to get a little rough, there; but it seems that 25.0.1400.0 (portable) is pretty darned good.

So, then, do I need to go separately report the red squggly-line spell checker thing happening, even if spell-checker is turned off? Or will SR Ware's developers see it here, and add it to their to-do list?
Gregg L. DesElms
Napa, California USA