Win 8 Pro (x64) compatibility?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

bigdutch

Win 8 Pro (x64) compatibility?

Post by bigdutch »

Hi

I have two major problems in Win 8 Pro (x64) with Iron (v 23.0.1300.0(170000))

1. Even running Iron as Admin I cannot set it as the default browser (I have tried going through the Win 8 default programs route as well)
2. Cannot get the flash player plugin (11.5 r502) to work (it keeps on asking for it to be installed).

When I go to Chrome:plugins the flash player is not even there.

Win 7 x64 was fine.

I know other users have had these problems from various posts.
Has Iron been tested on Windows 8 (x64)?

Cheers
Phonemes

Re: Win 8 Pro (x64) compatibility?

Post by Phonemes »

Have you tried running the defaultbrouwser.exe tool in your SRWare folder?
bugman

Post by bugman »

I can confirm both default browser and flash 11.5 work for SRWare Iron v23 in Windows 8 Pro (x64).

I installed flash 11.5 like normal, and set the default browser as admin... don't know how to say much more than that.

Something may be buggy with the Iron or Windows installation.
You could try completely removing Iron and reinstalling it.
If you really want to, reinstall Windows.
If you did an update to Windows 8 rather than a clean install, try a clean install (it's much better that way anyways).
bigdutch

Post by bigdutch »

Many thanks to both of the members comments above.

Its nice to have people that are polite and prompt in their logical responses!
I will scratch my head and try again.

I will also try and run the defaultbrowser.exe as well.

Its always good to have a challenge over Christmas.

Happy New Year
bigdutch

Post by bigdutch »

Just installed Chrome proper. No problems with Flash at all.
Re-installed Iron several times and still no success with Flash??

Really strange that the plugin still does not show in Iron.

Help!!

Regards
bugman

Post by bugman »

No problem - we're here to help. Though I'd like instant replies for faster responses, but that's not my decision to make.

Is default browser working? If not.. here's the exact steps I took.
1. Make sure you're in an admin account
2. Browse to Iron directory (Usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Srware Iron\Iron.exe).
3. Right click on Iron.exe, select Run as Administrator
4. Iron will show up, if not the default browser, a top bar will warn you. Do not make Iron the default browser from the button in the top bar (I don't know if it works, you can try it and report back).
5. Go to Iron settings
6. Set Iron as the default browser from there.

This is literally what I did. If it does not work, I must guess you have either a different copy of Windows or altered it in some way that default programs cannot be set. Speaking of default programs, you can also try setting Iron as the default browser for - I think - HTTP and HTTPS files. Or you can just set Iron as the default for everything. This is done in Control Panel's Default Programs. Pretty straightforward.

As for Flash.. either Windows is off like I mentioned earlier or you didn't get the right version of Flash (since Chrome has a built-in version, you can't prove that just because it works in Chrome that it will work in Iron), so try installing from this direct download link:
http://download.macromedia.com/get/flas ... plugin.exe

This is the link for the Windows Flash 11.5 plug-in (not ActiveX). If this does not work, I'm pretty much stumped unless I can actually see your computer, which is not very practical.

Enjoy.
bugman

Post by bugman »

Update (I can't access my last post, so double-posting):
Tried setting my default browser to Pale Moon and resetting to SRWare Iron - It works through the top bar (read my last post for more info).
I just forgot one thing: in Windows 8, when you set the default browser, a pop-up appears, and make sure you can select "Chromium" (i.e. SRWare Iron). If Chromium does not appear, you are not in administrator mode.
LeonLeon

Post by LeonLeon »

Strange thing. I done this like you say in descripton but start "Default Browser.exe" from SRWareIron folder in compatibility mode and only than it working - setting Iron as default browser. But for Adobe Flash Player, I haven't any problem with instalation. Anyway, who have problem can try: Alternative Flash Player Updater
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Alternative_F ... d6556.html
Alamos

Post by Alamos »

I have a v24... Iron on Win 8 Pro x64.
When I tried to update it to v25 the windows blue screen popped up and said, it stopped this application...
I can't overwrite it, just 'ok' possibility. Any advice for me please?

Ps: I upgraded my win 7 to win 8. I want to do a clean install later, but for me that takes 1-2 days, including the installations what I need to do with it. Preferably I would just update the iron.
formidible

Post by formidible »

Well I tried the above options but I still can't get Iron to be my default browser. Windows 8 doesn't recognise it as a browser. I tried running the default browser .exe in Iron and got the pop-up message to make Iron the default browser. It said "ok!" but didn't change a thing - Explorer remains default. Trying via settings just produces a pop-up asking to keep IE as default or get an app from the app store. No problems installing flash. Any further advice is welcome as this problem is really annoying. Am using Windows 8 Pro.