default browser in windows 8

Iron Forum for english speaking people

mib915

default browser in windows 8

Post by mib915 »

Anybody have any tips on setting iron as default browser in windows 8?

See attached .jpg for screenshot. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mib915

Re: default browser in windows 8

Post by mib915 »

sorry, guess I should elaborate a little bit. Basically when you attempt to make Iron your default browser you get the pop-up that is shown in the attached screen shot. You have 2 options "keep using Internet Explorer" or "look for an app in the store". The store has a few apps you can download including Chrome. I have no idea how to proceed at this point so any help is greatly appreciated, I'm test driving windows 8 and I'd love to continue to use Iron as my default browser. Thanks. :mrgreen:
krazzzzykay

Post by krazzzzykay »

I can't set Iron as the default browser either, the above linked solution did not help me, any other ideas?
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Samo problem here yet I found the cause and solution but unfortunately I can't implement it. (Lack of knowledge)

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... ?id=153349
https://chromiumcodereview.appspot.com/11035024
inogen

Post by inogen »

You need to run the iron install exe as administrator.

After which "Chromium" appears in that pop up list to open links with AND appears in control panel > programs > default programs > set default programs
mario92

Post by mario92 »

I tried that before.
I though maybe something changed and I reinstalled Iron with Admin rights. No change at all.
mapx

Post by mapx »

mario92 wrote:I tried that before.
I though maybe something changed and I reinstalled Iron with Admin rights. No change at all.
did you RUN iron with admin rights ? (non only installed it)
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Yes, I ran it with admin privileges in both install and launching.
No effect.
bksening

Post by bksening »

The referenced fixes involve an internal coding change to update the Windows generated progid in the compiled program. Such fixes cannot be simply applied by users (unless you want to run a HEX/bit editor and muck with the compiled executable :-) ).

You will have to wait for the next Iron update based on Chromium 23 which should include the fix before you can set Iron as default browser in Win 8.