Browser Start Problem

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Dax999

Browser Start Problem

Post by Dax999 »

I have tried a number of time to install Iron64 19 on Ubuntu 12.04 , but the browser fails to start . I used Iron64 last week on the same machine. After reinslling the same operating system Iron won't start . When terminal is used to start the browser "command not found is reported. The icon pulses as if the browser is trying to start. Chrome, Opera and Firefox install and run fine .

I have installed both with the Gdebi package installer and the Ubuntu software center . Next I will try a manual installation via the terminal. I really like Iron and would like to be able to use it again . The windows machine runs Iron just fine. I reall don't want to use the Ubuntu Chrormium build . Any suggestions are welcome .
Dax999

Re: Browser Start Problem

Post by Dax999 »

Solved ! I opened the Ubuntu main menu launcher properties . I then deleted and retyped the launch command "usr/share/iron/iron" and was able to start Iron which has been working since . I have no idea why this worked other than a possible lack of conductivity between the icon and the application file . After many installations I happy to have Iron back. :ironvschrome
blinkie

Post by blinkie »

I believe I am having the exact same issue.
Ubuntu 12.04 on an eee pc. Iron is installed, but nothing happens when I try to start it.

Unfortunately, I don't know what opening the main menu launcher properties mean. I've looked around, and can't find any option for it.
(Yes, I'm new to linux).

If anyone could give a slightly more detailed description on how to do this, I'd be very grateful.
mapx

Post by mapx »

try to launch iron from a terminal window, to see the errors
LMorgan

Post by LMorgan »

IRON.DEB 32-bit V 21.0.1150.1 will not run:
Like other users posting here, I cannot get the Iron browser to start after installing in Ubuntu 12.04 (with dpkg) and Mint 13 Maya (with Gdebi). The Iron icon appears in Ubuntu's Dash and Mint's Internet apps menu, but nothing happens when clicked. When trying to start In Terminal, the result is "command not found". In Ubuntu, if the SRWare Iron icon is dragged to the launcher and clicked, it pulses briefly but nothing more. If a reinstall is attempted via the Ubuntu Software Center, it shows "installed" but still does not run.

There is a tutorial on You Tube for installing an older Version 10 at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJj2vXhZrww
but this method does not work with V 21 and Ubuntu 12.04.

Another poster here wrote the following:
"Solved ! I opened the Ubuntu main menu launcher properties . I then deleted and retyped the launch command "usr/share/iron/iron" and was able to start Iron which has been working since."

However, I cannot locate "launcher properties" or find anything via Google, so I do not understand this procedure. If anyone can proide an up-to-date installation tutorial it would be much appreciated.
dfhytrh

Post by dfhytrh »

For start SRWare IRON with ubuntu 12.04 you need to install library: libxss1
for example thru Ubuntu Software Center
and start file: /usr/share/iron/iron
LMorgan

Post by LMorgan »

dfhytrh wrote:For start SRWare IRON with ubuntu 12.04 you need to install library: libxss1
for example thru Ubuntu Software Center
and start file: /usr/share/iron/iron

The libxss1 was already installed. No Iron launch icon was made, and trying to start with /usr/share/iron/iron does not work, as that iron file is not an executable. Apparently the iron executable was not correctly installed from iron.deb into Ubuntu - I recall coming across a comment saying something to the effect that it seems Ubuntu, for unknown reasons, somehow misinterprets the executable to be something that is non-executable.
If there is no workaround then iron.deb V22.0.1250.0 needs to be changed so it will work with Ubuntu (and Linux Mint Maya, as the same problem occurs there).