Is Google Docs offline functionality with Iron possible?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

George I

Is Google Docs offline functionality with Iron possible?

Post by George I »

I use the SRWare Iron Browser that is based on the Chromium code. I hoped that I can use Google Docs offline but it seems not possible as I cannot install the offline functionality from inside Google Docs when using my SRWare Iron Browser. Thus, I tried to use Chromium's Google Docs Extension. However, I get the following failure message:

"Package is invalid. Details: ''Hosted apps cannot use the extension feature 'offline_enabled'.'."

I hope you can help me with this.

Is anyone able to use Google Docs offline? If so how did you make it work?

Many thanks,

George I
Pyrocube

Re: Is Google Docs offline functionality with Iron possible?

Post by Pyrocube »

Yes it is possible, just update to the latest Version SRWare Iron 20 and you will be able to install Google docs offline.
Pyrocube

Re: Is Google Docs offline functionality with Iron possible?

Post by Pyrocube »

Although it doesn't work the way I had expected. I think it is because the *.gdoc is only a link to the online version while other formats are physically stored on your HDD.

Access for different types of files:

Google documents and spreadsheets: Can view, can't edit
While you can't edit Google documents and spreadsheets offline, you can view them without an Internet connection. Just point your Chrome browser to drive.google.com and select Google document or spreadsheet to view. View access isn't available for Google presentations, forms, or drawings.

Non-Google Docs files that you've stored in Google Drive: Can view and edit.
You can both view and edit files such as PDFs, Microsoft Office files, and images, from your Google Drive folder even when you're disconnected from the Internet. Any changes you've made to synced files while offline will sync to all devices with a time stamp when you reconnect to the Internet.