Windows 10 - Default Browser

Iron Forum for english speaking people

JeremyP99

Windows 10 - Default Browser

Post by JeremyP99 »

Whilst one can set Iron as the default browser in the browser settings, it is not possible to in Windows 10, as this requires setting elsewhere, and the only option offered is Edge or an app from the app store. This is very annoying, as, for example, if you click on a link in an email, you get Edge, rather than Iron.

Love Iron - I left Chrome to get away from Google (if that is possible!) and tried Comodo Dragon, which was very CPU intensive and would not play videos in Twitter. Found Iron, and really like it - the page rendering is really snappy - but this is an annoying problem which you do need to fix methinks.

Over to you!

Jeremy Poynton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeremyP99

Re: Windows 10 - Default Browser

Post by JeremyP99 »

Well, all very odd. Do the Iron developers/support people hang out here? If so, then the fact that you can't set Iron to be the default browser in W10 is very poor. Means all links not in Iron take you to Edge or whatever other browser you have that IS set as the default. Can't be that hard to fix it surely, given Chrome can?
JeremyP99

Post by JeremyP99 »

Default apps, W10 style
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sam_barton

Post by sam_barton »

Hi,
You must open the browser as administrator and it appear.

;)
JeremyP99

Post by JeremyP99 »

I have admin status.
JeremyP99

Post by JeremyP99 »

sam_barton wrote:Hi,
You must open the browser as administrator and it appear.

;)

And why? If you use Chrome, Firefox or Safari, W10 recognises these and offers them up when the W10 Setting panel is ivoked when you set the default browser IN the browser. Iron is NOT. Only Edge. So when I click on a link in my email, I go to Edge - surely this can be that hard to fix? It's bloody annoying that's for sure, nor do I see how opening Iron as Admin will make any difference to what browsers W10 sees as available to be made the default.
sam_barton

Post by sam_barton »

I don't know why but for me it worked !
Iron icon -> right click -> open as administrator -> settings -> default browser -> Make iron the default browser
JeremyP99

Post by JeremyP99 »

Yes, that DID do it - but why so given that you don't need to do it for any of the other 3 or 43 browsers I tried when trying to find an alternative to Chrome. It's messy - but thanks!