W10 EDGE default browser, not Iron

Iron Forum for english speaking people

SRWare
Site Admin

Re: W10 EDGE default browser, not Iron

Post by SRWare »

WacoJohn wrote:Iron Version 49.0.2600.0 32-bit. W10 -64. Default etc. worked fine on W8.1. Upgraded to W10 last night. Now, Edge is default for the OS. Cannot make IRON default like I did with W8.1. Any advice?? Please??

Thank you in advance.
Please go to Windows Settings->Default Apps->Webbrowser >Chromium
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
bksening

Post by bksening »

But WHY must we do that? And why would you expect users would guess or try that if we're using Iron browser?

Why must Iron be Chromium? When will Iron be Iron? This is just STUPID software that has gone on for years.
Zakkeh

Post by Zakkeh »

Hi,

Having the same issue, except that Chromium doesn't show up as an option, and fucking Windows 10 doesn't let me choose a program, only an 'app from the store' and my other browsers, Windows Edge, IE and Firefox. Any workarounds?
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes »

WacoJohn wrote:I had no problems ... except finding exactly where to set defaults. W10 has two areas to do it ... in CONTROL PANEL. One works and the other doesn't.
Woah I thought they'd removed that method in Win10. Still, no luck for me. Chromium does not appear as a program in that list, I can set Chromium as the default program for .htm files, but again Chromium doesn't appear as an option for the HTTP or HTTPS protocols :(
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Hi, Hotcakes

You could find it through the Start Menu>Settings?System>Default Apps.Web Browser?Chromium, but I went to Iron's Settings and clicked on Make Iron the Default Browser. It immediately pulled up the Windows 10 popup window under Windows Settings and I located the right Chromium icon to select. Locating the right icon is especially helpful if you have more than one Chromium web browser app. I then had to go back to Iron's Settings and click on the Make Iron the Default Browser again.

Ricochet
awesomeweles

Post by awesomeweles »

I'm getting the same bug where Iron/Chromium does not get listed as an option when choosing a default web app on win 10. The only workaround that I could find was to go into the per app settings, select chrome to pick up all of its defaults, then go into the per protocol screen and manually change each protocol that chrome had to chromium which was an option here but not on the other screens.

Is it possible Iron is missing a registry key or something ?
ColdFlo

Post by ColdFlo »

Now its even worse on Windows 10 Creators Edition (Redstone 2) now in the new menu it only gives the option to pick from windows store apps and of course chromium(iron) isnt in the selection anymore. Windows needs to stop changing this they are doing this on purpose to force people to use edge or something.......... Plus WeatherChannel app wont install and it wont tell me why.... Other than that if you do a clean install all the new versions of windows 10 are fast fast fast and bug free but I guess program compatibility lags on little things like these........
focin albert

Post by focin albert »

awesomeweles wrote:I'm getting the same bug where Iron/Chromium does not get listed as an option when choosing a default web app on win 10. The only workaround that I could find was to go into the per app settings, select chrome to pick up all of its defaults, then go into the per protocol screen and manually change each protocol that chrome had to chromium which was an option here but not on the other screens.

Is it possible Iron is missing a registry key or something ?
I don't think so...!
turby3pots

Post by turby3pots »

hello. i created an account just to let those of you who have the problem that chromium/srware iron does not show up as a choice for default web browser i have a solution.

i got the solution here: http://superuser.com/questions/51264/ho ... ndows-vist

what you need to do is create a .txt file on your desktop, name it fixDefault.reg (delete the .txt file extension, and click through the complaint)

right click and edit the file to contain this text:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Infamous capabilities:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Iron\Capabilities]
"ApplicationDescription"="SRWare Iron - Beta Google Chrome"
"ApplicationIcon"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\SRWare Iron\\iron.exe,0"
"ApplicationName"="Iron"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Iron\Capabilities\FileAssociations]
".htm"="IronURL"
".html"="IronURL"
".shtml"="IronURL"
".xht"="IronURL"
".xhtml"="IronURL"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Iron\Capabilities\URLAssociations]
"ftp"="IronURL"
"http"="IronURL"
"https"="IronURL"

; Register to Default Programs

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications]
"Iron"="Software\\Iron\\Capabilities"

; IronURL HANDLER:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\IronURL]
@="Iron Document"
"FriendlyTypeName"="Iron Document"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\IronURL\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\IronURL\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\IronURL\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\SRWare Iron\\iron.exe\" -- \"%1\""
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes »

turby3pots wrote:i got the solution here: http://superuser.com/questions/51264/ho ... ndows-vist
Unfortunately still doesn't seem to work for me. It populates the Default Programs with an entry named 'iron.exe', which asks for Admin rights when I try to bring up a webpage, but then doesn't seem to boot beyond that :/

I'll try changing the entry to chrome.exe within the Iron folder and see if that helps - the icon pinned to my Taskbar just boots chrome.exe directly and I've not had problems with that.