BBC iplayer radio etc.

Iron Forum for english speaking people

gruff

Re: BBC iplayer radio etc.

Post by gruff »

You beat me to it. That's exactly the problem. THANK-YOU for the help. I am sure others will have this problem.

You have to install Flash, then visit bbc.co.uk/html5
to say you don't want Flash and want HTML5.

Then it delivers HTML5 on i-player.

Grrr...
gruff

Post by gruff »

further info. not really down to Iron but;

Once you have set the cookies for HTML5, if you uninstall Flash, the BBC i-players will not continue to deliver HTML5, they revert back to saying that Flash is not installed.

So, you have to live with the fact that Flash is still installed, there does not seem to be a way of disabling it by default (or asking to run on demand) on the Extensions menu. I don't really want Flash on my machines at all. :!:

Can anyone add to this summary?
gruff

Post by gruff »

An update:-

I e-mailed the BBC and Lloyd a Software Engineer, Media Playout, BBC Digital came back with this:-

> The original post says that you are attempting to listen to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_fourfm, which is a live stream.
>
> As stated on bbc.co.uk/html5, "The HTML5 Player is currently available on BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Radio for on-demand programmes only. Content elsewhere on the BBC website will continue to play in the non-beta player."
>
> I believe that what you're actually seeing is the following:
> - On Chrome, playback works with the built-in PepperFlash plugin regardless of if you are opted in to the HTML5 Beta as the page still uses Flash
> - On Iron, without Flash installed, as live streams are an area where the use of the HTML5 Beta is not possible, and so the only option available is to advise the installation of Flash
> - On Iron, with Flash installed and opted in to the Beta, the live stream is still playing with Flash
> - On Iron, with Flash disabled after opting in, once again we only offer Flash on live streams at this time so no playback is possible
>
> We're working on adding support for live radio, but do not have any timescales to share right now.

So, this is by design at the moment, but there are quite a few permutations to confuse things until HTML5 is fully rolled out.

Big thank-you for BBC taking the time to respond. :)