New Iron-Version: 4.0.227 Beta for Linux

Iron Forum for english speaking people

surcough

Re: New Iron-Version: 4.0.227 Beta for Linux

Post by surcough »

acidtoi wrote:Hi guys,

first of all thank you very much for your great work, I used Iron a lot back in WinXP (sucks!) and I'm very happy now I can use it too in Linux. :D

However, I need assistance to install the Flash plug-in. Specifically, where do I have to drop libflashplayer.so in order to make it work with Iron?

I'm waiting anxiously the coming Iron 4.0 stable release, best!
Exactly in same situation. loves how Iron is fast...but moderately appreciates I can't display anything flash based for now :mrgreen:
I use flash plugin 64 bits alpha to go with my Ubuntu Jaunty 64 bits( the flash 32 bits plugin is a nightmare on 64 bits systems, even an alpha for 64 is way more stable)
digitizdat

Post by digitizdat »

I figured this out by running strace on the iron process, and typing "about:plugins" in the URL bar...

To enable flash in Iron on Linux:

1) Create a directory called plugins in the directory where you installed iron. For instance, if you installed it under /opt/iron-linux, then create /opt/iron-linux/plugins.
2) Copy libflashplayer.so into that directory.
3) Type "about:plugins" in the URL bar to verify that it is loaded. It does not seem to require a restart of Iron.

Enjoy!
Marmirus

Post by Marmirus »

Great browser!
But, is it possible to get source code, to be able compile it by myself?
I'm using x86-64, but you provide only a 32-bit binary version.
soluphobe

Post by soluphobe »

Posting from the Beta on Fedora 11, no problems! Keep up the great work, Iron is my main browser right now. People really appreciate what you guys do.
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

Hello.
Where are the user settings for this linux version stored?
I used Iron for a while. Then I deleted the whole directory from my /home; then extracted it again and launched the program, and I still have the theme and all the settings just as I used to have in the first directory.
halnine

Switches

Post by halnine »

Working blazing fast on EeeBuntu (7" EeePC, 900MHz Intel Atom processor). Flash and all. Out of the box.

Can't get bookmark menu or bookmark sync, though. Added "--enable-sync --bookmark-menu" to launcher - and nothing.
mister_playboy

Post by mister_playboy »

Is it possible to use fanboy's adblock.ini with the newest Linux version of Iron? Putting it in the .iron folder doesn't work... or is there some other adblocking method?

This is all I need to replace Firefox with Iron as my main browser. ;)
jaimemistus11

Post by jaimemistus11 »

Hi, I cannot use Iron, and I'd love to use it, really.

I am trying to run it on Ubuntu 9.10
I have an ASUS mb socket A (462)
AMD Athlon 2600+ CPU
1 gb ddr RAM
Chrome Beta is working fine.

when I launch ./iron the error is:

Illegal instruction

googling this error I found this has something to do with the CPU...something like: "this package has been compiled dependng on a library which is old and useless..." but I don't remember the library's name, and this comment was not about iron, but it was the same error under ubuntu.

Tell me if you need more informations, and please help me because I already began to make friends using Iron...

Thank you for all your work.
GreyAsh

Post by GreyAsh »

Hello,
Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work!
Bye
mister_playboy

Post by mister_playboy »

diego1188 wrote:Hello.
Where are the user settings for this linux version stored?
I used Iron for a while. Then I deleted the whole directory from my /home; then extracted it again and launched the program, and I still have the theme and all the settings just as I used to have in the first directory.
I think it is in /home/.config/chromium. I installed the Linux build of Chromium, and it already had all of Iron's settings from first launch. This is kind of annoying since some of the extensions that work with Chromium break in Iron... :P