How to add Scroogle as default search engine in Iron?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Scrooglian23

How to add Scroogle as default search engine in Iron?

Post by Scrooglian23 »

Hi, first of all I'd like to thank all of you who is involved in this awesome project, you are all a collection of collaborative Internet heroes! :)

That being said, I think the title question speaks for itself:
http://www.scroogle.org/

Also, I have another question: Does Iron get auto-updated like Firefox?

Many thanks in advance!
x-15a2

Re: How to add Scroogle as default search engine in Iron?

Post by x-15a2 »

To add Scroogle as the default search engine, do the following:

- Go into Options and click on the Basics tab
- In the Default Search section, click on the Manage button
- In the Search Engines screen, click on the Add button
- Complete the fields as follows:
Name: Scroogle
Keyword: Scroogle.org
URL: http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=%s
- Click the OK button to save the new search
- Click on the new Scroogle entry, then click on the Make Default button
- Click the Close button and you're ready to go.
quadd

Post by quadd »

This is excellent, thank you
MST

Post by MST »

Why would one need Scroogle when using IRON?I thought IRON was suppose to eliminate Google tracking.
curlin

Post by curlin »

MST wrote:Why would one need Scroogle when using IRON?I thought IRON was suppose to eliminate Google tracking.
Google tracks all your searches no matter what browser you use which is why alot of us use scroogle = google results without tracking ;)
MST

Post by MST »

curlin wrote:
MST wrote:Why would one need Scroogle when using IRON?I thought IRON was suppose to eliminate Google tracking.
Google tracks all your searches no matter what browser you use which is why alot of us use scroogle = google results without tracking ;)
I guess I misunderstood what this meant:

Suggest

Depending on the configuration, each time you type something in the address bar, information sent to Google it, search suggestions, to be able to display.

not exist in Iron

Is what I have heard about chrome add ons phoning home true?
curlin

Post by curlin »

MST wrote:
curlin wrote:
I guess I misunderstood what this meant:

Suggest

Depending on the configuration, each time you type something in the address bar, information sent to Google it, search suggestions, to be able to display.

not exist in Iron

Is what I have heard about chrome add ons phoning home true?
With Iron and google set as your default search engine, google knows your ip and anything and everything your are searching for. With scroogle, your search request is sent to scroogle which thens forwards your search request to google "using an anonymous ip", not your ip ;) . It fetches the search results and sends then back to you. It will also show search links that google intercepts!

So google can see what is being searched but does not know that it is you doing the searching! :D
MST

Post by MST »

With Iron and google set as your default search engine, google knows your ip and anything and everything your are searching for. With scroogle, your search request is sent to scroogle which thens forwards your search request to google "using an anonymous ip", not your ip ;) . It fetches the search results and sends then back to you. It will also show search links that google intercepts!

So google can see what is being searched but does not know that it is you doing the searching! :D[/quote]
Thats good for searching,but after you click on a link within the scroogle results,google has you again.
curlin

Post by curlin »

MST wrote:Thats good for searching,but after you click on a link within the scroogle results,google has you again.
:D How to you figure that :?: :shock:

If you type into a search "free firewall" and receive the scroogle results and click on a link from say "ZoneAlarm", they will see you, not google. If your worried by all this, setup Iron to browse through the "TOR Network". Then your only worry is encountering a bad/rouge exit node. .Your browsing speed will take a hit though.
MST

Post by MST »

curlin wrote:
MST wrote:Thats good for searching,but after you click on a link within the scroogle results,google has you again.
:D How to you figure that :?: :shock:

If you type into a search "free firewall" and receive the scroogle results and click on a link from say "ZoneAlarm", they will see you, not google. If your worried by all this, setup Iron to browse through the "TOR Network". Then your only worry is encountering a bad/rouge exit node. .Your browsing speed will take a hit though.
Ok,found this,now I'm clear. :)

When the Scroogle results come back from an SSL search, and you click on any of the links shown on that secure page, there is another advantage. SSL does not allow the browser to record the address where that secure page came from, and attach it to any outgoing non-SSL links on that page. Normally all browsers do this, and it's called the "referrer" address. Using SSL blanks out this referrer, so that any non-SSL site you click on from a Scroogle SSL page won't even know that you arrived at their site from Scroogle. The referrer will be blank, and your log entry at that site will look like any of the hundreds of bots that crawl the web all day and night with similar blank referrers.