Best "recent" version of Iron???

Iron Forum for english speaking people

markaz

Best "recent" version of Iron???

Post by markaz »

I've been using Version 22.0.1250.0 (160000) since the day it came out. Tried upgrading a couple of times to newer versions but each time I did there was always some type of issue(s) that made me uninstall it and revert back to version 22. More frequently I'm running into sites warning me of the old browser version. Can users give their opinions on which of the more recent versions of Iron has proved to be the most stable without the flash issues, login problems, etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone giving their opinion/experience with a newer version.
bugman

Re: Best "recent" version of Iron???

Post by bugman »

I feel your pain. Most of the problems are with flash and hope they get resolved soon.
markaz

Post by markaz »

After checking the forums it seemed like v. 32.0.1750.1 had some positive words, so I downloaded and installed it. YouTube videos performed well, but when I checked to see what version of Flash was being used I was surprised to find out that it was actually HTML5 player. I installed the "Disable HTML5" Chrome extension, reloaded the page I was on and now viewing Flash. Bottom line is that everything works perfectly well. I can now go to Fox.com and watch full episodes of TV programs with a browser that it now accepts.
Onyx50

Post by Onyx50 »

We also feel your pain.
We were using the same version, until we could no longer access so many sites.
We updated to 29.x and so far, we've had the best results with that one.

Haven't tested any newer version(s) yet.
markaz

Post by markaz »

Onyx50 wrote:We also feel your pain.
We were using the same version, until we could no longer access so many sites.
We updated to 29.x and so far, we've had the best results with that one.

Haven't tested any newer version(s) yet.
Have you going to Fox.com with version 29? Will it allow you to access the site? With v. 22 you couldn't get on their site.

Now that I've been using v. 32 for a few days all I can say is that it's trying at best. YouTube vids watched with HTML5 Player play perfectly with no ads (AB Plus installed) and no annotations, but when I disable the player and use Flash it's filled with ads that AB Plus won't stop. Why this is I don't know but it is a nuisance. Watching videos from other sites (like Fox) plays the vids in Flash (even with HTML5 enabled) and have to put up with the ads. Seriously thinking dumping about v. 32 and if something like v. 29 works well with ad blocking and still allows access to most sites, "downgrading" looks like the route I'll go.
markaz

Post by markaz »

Thank you Onyx50. I uninstalled v. 32 and installed v. 29. Iron is now performing as I was wishing for in my thread start. Sites that would not allow me to "play" because my browser needed updating are now allowing Iron v. 29. With ABP and AB installed there are absolutely no ads on any video sites that I frequent and no annotations on YouTube. The only hiccup I've noticed is when starting a YouTube video the following momentarily flashes on the Flash screen:
Apparently YouTube wants to try and start the HTML5 Player (which seems to be the default player for YouTube in Iron versions 30 and greater. It's just a nuisance and not worth tinkering with it.
Thanks again for the info on v. 29.
rsadix

Post by rsadix »

I've been using version 29 for awhile, and been very happy with it. I tried a few versions after that but ended up switching back to 29. I was looking around to see if there was a better newer version. I noticed in the official "archive" of older iron versions, several are missing. The last two versions are 29 and 35.

Gmail alerts me that iron version 29 is no longer supported, although it seems to work fine.
TimeCode

Post by TimeCode »

[quote="markaz"I installed the "Disable HTML5" Chrome extension, reloaded the page I was on and now viewing Flash. Bottom line is that everything works perfectly well. I can now go to Fox.com and watch full episodes of TV programs with a browser that it now accepts.[/quote]

What's the exact name of that extension? I'm not seeing one called "Disable HTML5".
Badger200

Post by Badger200 »

I had good luck up to 36. When 37 came around it was a total disaster crashing 100x more than I've ever seen any browser crash. 38 isn't much better.
imzesok

Post by imzesok »

"Disable Youtube™ HTML5 Player" is the only one I've found. it does work great on youtube as far as I've tested it today. is it necessarily trust worthy however? *shrugs* like all browser plugins it's a gamble you've gotta be willing to accept. so far youtube seems to be the only site that forces you to use HTML5 that I've noticed. google is ruining everything :ironvschrome :roll: